Views: 4692|Replies: 3

Can any one explain “so very much” in this sentence? is it used very often? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-11-30 15:29:03 |Display all floors
Since you all like to eat peanuts so very much, why not plant some here?”
Can any one explain “so very much” in this sentence? is it used very often?

Thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-30 17:40:21 |Display all floors
I think “ very much”is used very often, also “so very much”  is used very often.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-4 14:18:13 |Display all floors
"Since you all like to eat peanuts so very much, why not plant some here?”

They are saying "I understand you all like peanuts a lot, so you should plant some here!"

It could be many different meanings though depending ont he situation and tone, it could be sarcastic like if someone says

"I like Sally, she's nice."

And someone else hates her they could say, if they wanted to be childish,

"If you like her so much, why don't you marry her?"

which isn't really saying they should marry her, just that they don't care and had they don't really respect what you said.

Probably the first sentence is not being sarcastic though as it would be strange to be angry or upset about people liking peanuts. so in that sentence "So very much" just means a lot, or more than expected.

It's not used that often but in situations where you find out someone likes something much more thna you expected and you want to give them some options about the item.

LIke if my mom made Mashed Potatoes and you ate a lot and really liked them, my mom could say "If you like the food so much, here have some more!"

As well usually it's just so much, not so very much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-5 01:08:32 |Display all floors

so very much ?

this is poor English grammar, but is used in more common American speech, it is a soft expression of annoyance, " if you like him so very much, go live with him then!"  or " if you like his car so very much, why keep your old one?" used as a suggestive question. can be used in a sarcastic way  " his car is so very much faster than yours", " her husband is SO VERY MUCH richer then yours"      :)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.