Author: freetofly

Is it time for China to promote Buddhism? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-10-4 13:21:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Desaview2 at 2010-10-3 19:55

you are an English educated overseas chinese reading a few paperbacks on Buddhism.......................

your ideas can be very different from what and how Buddhism is actually pract ...

I'm not a Chinese; I'm of European ancestry living in the USA. I have been Buddhist for about 30 years. I'm not the most perfect Buddhist but I am Buddhist. How is what I say different from Buddhism? Could you be more specific?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-4 13:38:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by msrong at 2010-10-3 21:25
I propose the promotion of Guan Yin, the goddess of mercy. Reviving Buddhism is a good idea, as it had a long history in China for thousands of years. However, praying to Buddha for wealth and glory, as some practitioners do in HK, defeats the purpose.

You are so right. The purpose of Buddhism is not worldly gain.The purpose is to overcome your problems and realize your fullest potential spiritually.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-4 18:56:33 |Display all floors

Chinese Supreme God = 老天爷 100 per cent Chinese.

Just study 老天爷 according to Chinese beliefs and customs, and formulate a theology.  Then you will have a 100 per cent Chinese religion based solely Chinese beliefs and traditions.  That's including ancient Confucianism, even though Confucius has little to say about 老天爷.  But certainly Confucius had a reverence for 天.  That's why Chinese Emperors throughout history has elaborate ceremonies for the reverence of 天.

(If the theology of 天 would turn up to be very much like Christian God,  be not surprised.    But that's another story.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-4 22:10:30 |Display all floors
Oh my God = Oh my Budda?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-4 23:46:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by justinzxx at 2010-10-4 22:10
Oh my God = Oh my Budda?

Buddha will say: don't bother me with trifles. Unlike my western partner, I prefer to be low profile.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-5 00:15:49 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
"My way or Guantanamo Bay"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-5 00:19:22 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
"My way or Guantanamo Bay"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.