Movie recommendations anyone? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-9-26 20:52:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by LCSULLA at 2010-9-26 20:50

just that imdb has also a pretty good rating system,
if you realise how to use it.

-

i hate ratings

thats why i like wikipedia

i can honestly say Ive never agreed with any rating ive ever seen, and half the time wanted to track down the guys rating them and break their AV equipment

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-26 21:01:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1337assassin at 2010-9-26 20:52

-

i hate ratings

thats why i like wikipedia

i can honestly say Ive never agreed with any rating ive ever seen, and half the time wanted to track down the guys rating them and break their ...

You need to understand the rating system on the background of popular taste.
the audiance average is also intelligence wise just average,
and thus also tends to favour the popular stuff, and rate it more enthusiastically.
More intelligent movies that aim higher, are usually rated more critically by their audience,
and also get once in a while bad ratings from average joe, who was to stoopid to understand it.
thus the really good movies receive good, but not the top ratings.

IMDB has also a more sophisticated rating mechanism that does not just base on averages.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-27 18:14:12 |Display all floors

The Big Lebowski!!!

You gotta love The Dude.
thedude.gif
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-27 18:18:28 |Display all floors
What kind of movies do you like?
Comedies?  Drama?  Horror?  Action?

For a good comedy  Walk Hard!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-27 18:24:39 |Display all floors
Raging Bull.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-27 19:25:43 |Display all floors

The Message (1976)

Mohammad: Messenger of God

User Rating: 8.1/10
Release Date: 8 July 1977
Director: Moustapha Akkad

In four decades only four... "The Robe" "The Ten Commandments" "Ben-Hur" and
now... For the first time...the vast, spectacular drama that changed the world!

Runtime: 177 min
Language: English  | Arabic
Aspect Ratio: 2.35 : 1
Company: Filmco International Productions

Awards: Nominated for Oscar.
Best Music, Original Score
Maurice Jarre
1388790896_0eec391d0c.jpg
余优素福

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-27 19:29:07 |Display all floors

great film, visuals and acting

This is a great film. I'm a history major who took several courses in the history of the Middle East and Islam, so nothing is going to be good or accurate or trivia filled enough for me, but it certainly didn't contradict anything I'd learned (for cinematic purposes or otherwise), and that's more than I can say for any historical epic I've seen in several years.

This film starts with Muhammed receiving the Koran from the angel Gabriel and ends at his death. It was filmed in accordance with Islamic political correctness, so The Prophet himself is never depicted, visually or vocally.

Having said that, however, the film is still a very good depiction of the birth of Islam. The plot focuses on the historical events rather than the Koran itself, which contains almost no history from its own period, and is therefore different from a lot of Biblical epics which present the historical events IN the Bible. It's accurate in that it tries to present the birth of Islam as most people today probably learn it. Definitely not a propaganda piece, but it's not a movie filled with facts, truth or fiction, more a movie of character and tone. It's more similar to Braveheart than it is to Ben Hur or the Gospel of John. The movie presents a decent snapshot of the times and the attitudes and lifestyles under which Islam developed.

The acting is fantastic, the music is good (won an academy award), and the cinematography, filmed in Morocco and Libya, is beautiful. Costumes are cool, and there's a few scenes with a set of ancient bagpipes for you Celtic history buffs.
余优素福

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.