Author: BingSilk

Evil USA mllitary cracking down on China's Loongson chips [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-9-17 21:32:33 |Display all floors

Dragon chip?

Originally posted by greendragon at 2010-9-17 13:55
Why is the American military using the LOONGSON chips?

What is this in Chinese? Dragon chip?

Is this a Cantonese company Cantonese-designed chip?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-17 21:38:00 |Display all floors

What is this chip?

China beats Intel? Unbelievable!

Is CortexA9 a mass market thing or niche market?

Is this very advanced or what?

What are all the other competitor chips?

腾讯科技讯(娄池)9月14日消息,ARM及广东新岸线公司今日在京发布了全球首款计算机系统芯片NuSmart 2816,该系统芯片采用了台积电40纳米技术制造。芯片内集成了双核ARM CortexA9 CPU、显卡等功能,性能高于英特尔及苹果同级别芯片,目前新岸线已与联想、惠普、戴尔等厂商开始终端研发计划,首批应用该芯片的产品将于年底面世。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-17 23:58:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matthew5_3 at 2010-9-17 06:32

What is this in Chinese? Dragon chip?

Is this a Cantonese company Cantonese-designed chip?

Here us what wikipedia says:
Loongson (Chinese: 龙芯; pinyin: lóngxīn, academic name: Godson, also known as Dragon chip) is a family of general-purpose MIPS-compatible CPUs developed at the Institute of Computing Technology (ICT), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in the People's Republic of China. The chief architect is Professor Weiwu Hu.

Loongson is the result of a public-private partnership. BLX IC Design Corporation was founded in 2002 by ICT and Jiangsu Zhongyi Group. Based in Beijing, BLX focuses on designing the advanced 32-bit/64-bit Loongson general-purpose and embedded processors, together with developing software tools and reference platforms.

ST Microelectronics fabricates and markets Loongson chips for BLX, which is fabless.

So the dragon chip is designed by Chinese but manufactered by ST Microelectronics which is a global company.

The most recent chips use a 32nm fabrication process which is very advanced.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-18 01:14:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matthew5_3 at 2010-9-17 06:31

Let's interesting.  Can someone educate us more on this?

When transistors first came out they were made individually on pieces of silicon and wired together on printed circuit boards to form electronic circuits to perform different functions. Latter they started to put several transistors and resistors on a single piece of silicon and interconnected them. That was cheaper and more reliable than making separate transistors and resistors and interconnecting them on a circuit board. These complex circuits on a single piece of silicon are called "integrated circuits" because they are several components integrated into a single package forming electronic circuits. They are created on pieces of silicon which are also called chips and that's why integrated circuits are sometimes called chips.

These integrated circuits can have many different functions and are used instead of transistors. They are interconnected on circuit boards to construct different electronic devices.

RAM chips: (random access memory chips) are commonly used for temporary storage of information in computers.

Counters: count electronic pulses

Shift registers: store data and can convert data between parallel and serial form

Controllers: perform specialized complex functions

Adders: binary addition of 2 numbers

Buffers: used for data transfer

Microprocessors: one or more central processing units in a computer. This is basically what makes the computer run the software and makes things happen. This is what the dragon chip is.

OP amps: (operational amplifier) an analog circuit that amplifies differential input voltages and produces a single output. It has all kinds of neat applications.

I've only listed a few of the more common ones but there are many more different types of chips.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-18 05:19:51 |Display all floors
I just found this on the ST Microelectronics website
To provide its customers with an independent, secure and cost-effective manufacturing machine, ST operates a worldwide network of front-end (wafer fabrication) and back-end (assembly and test and packaging) plants. ST’s principal wafer fabs are presently located in Agrate Brianza and Catania (Italy), Crolles, Rousset and Tours (France), and Singapore. The wafer fabs are complemented by world-class assembly-and-test facilities located in China, Malaysia, Malta, Morocco and Singapore.

So it looks like the wafer fabrication for the dragon chip is probably done outside of China but the testing and packaging of the silicon chips might be done by ST facilities inside of China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-18 05:26:21 |Display all floors

Reply #39 kyosan's post

Thank you!

Another thing is are you familiar with all kinds of semiconductor chips the Chinese make?

Are you saying China is making AND S.ELLING all those chips?

I am already so surprised about that ARM CortexA9 chip has thrashed Intel.  You mean so many others?

Loongson does not s.ell very well, right?   Which PC manufacturers use Loongson?

[ Last edited by matthew5_3 at 2010-9-18 05:30 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-9-18 06:55:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matthew5_3 at 2010-9-17 14:26
Thank you!

Are you saying China is making AND S.ELLING all those chips?

I am already so surprised about that ARM CortexA9 chip has thrashed Intel.  You mean so many others?

Loongson do ...

I don't know for a fact that they make all these things in China because I haven't been working in the industry for several years. But these are things that are fairly common and China has several wafer fab plants so they probably make these things. Microprocessors might be an exception and I listed adders but they are not used as much as they use to be because adders are now put in the microprocessor chips since they are part of the CPU.

There are probably tens of thousands of different chips with many different functions and unless you work in the electronics industry you probably won't know about them. And that's the point I was trying to make. Those chips referred to in the article are probably not dragon chips.

Intel is really good at wafer fabrication, in fact they are the industry leaders and that helps them produce lower power and faster microprocessors. They have been focusing on speed more than anything else but ARM has been focusing on low power embedded microprocessors much longer and really have it figured out. So for low power consumption vs. performance ARM beats Intel. Intel is catching up though.

I've been waiting for a 4-core ARM motherboard to come out because I'd like to make a low power consumption computer based on ARM with decent performance but have been waiting for a couple years now and it hasn't happened. The ARM based computer industry seems to move much more slowly than the Intel based industry.

From what I understand Apple is starting to use the ARM Cortex A9 chip. Though ARM is not widely known to the general public, they have been around since the 1980's. They use RISC (reduced instruction set computing) architecture which makes the design simpler than the Intel processors. I think that's one of the reasons why they are so energy efficient.

I've seen the dragon chip used in a few low-end computers but it's not very widely used.

[ Last edited by kyosan at 2010-9-17 10:21 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.