Author: wetac0s

China should ban ads with Westerners [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-8-5 03:57:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bern2009 at 2010-8-5 03:51
one thing I want to add: brands like Gucci, Armani, Chanel etc.  mainly not a product, but a certain feeling or "life style". And this feeling or life style is generally associated with E ...

Subtle racism and media brainwashing.  Those companies are indirectly marketing white supremacy - this has been known for years in the western media.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 04:08:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wetac0s at 2010-8-5 03:57
Subtle racism and media brainwashing.  Those companies are indirectly marketing white supremacy - this has been known for years in the western media.

no, this is not my way of seeing things.

Gucci shows Italian life style (or what it is supposed to be), Chanel French. I don't think you can expect these companies to create an "Asian Gucci life style". It is not only about the faces, it is the whole environment shown in the adverts.
I agree that this leads to a strong (and maybe exaggerated) interest in these European countries. Also to the idea that everything is so great there, which it actually isn't. I met some Asians who admired Europe much even when there was nothing to admire. And these "noble" and expensive brands might be a reason for it.
But you can't blame the companies for wanting to . You can't expect from these companies to totally change their "image" and the feeling they transmit.

And finally and lastly - no racist "message" is intended by these companies.

[ Last edited by bern2009 at 2010-8-5 04:11 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 04:10:07 |Display all floors
just for interest:

In the adverts of Toyota, Hyundai, Sony, Samsung etc. ........ are there no white faces in China? And if there are - whom do you blame for this?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 04:51:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bern2009 at 2010-8-5 04:08

no, this is not my way of seeing things.

Gucci shows Italian life style (or what it is supposed to be), Chanel French. I don't think you can expect these companies to create an "Asian Guc ...

Many Asian companies like HTC, Sony, Samsung, Haier, Honda, Toyota, etc...ALL feature White people in their ads.  So obviously they will kowtow to western standards - yet western companies refuse to show Asian people in their advertisements even in Asia!

There have been countless studies done by many scholars about racism in western media - you should really do some research.
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2527

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 12:29:50 |Display all floors
I haven't completely read this article. Not enough time right now. So only so much:

If Asian companies show more white people in Asia, then this is their problem, not the white man's.
I have to point out that in Europe, you can see some non-white people on TV. I'm not talking about adverts, but series and other TV shows.
If you think China should ban whites from TV, then propose it to the Politburo. I have no problem with that. I just wonder how Western countries should handle this issue with non-Whites in their adverts then.

"you should really do some research" - I know what I see every day. And you blame me for coincidentally not having read the articles you take your wisdom from.

[ Last edited by bern2009 at 2010-8-5 12:31 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 13:00:40 |Display all floors
Then how about the Europen style houses in China? Ban them too?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 14:44:57 |Display all floors
Ban European style clothes in China. No more jeans, T-shirts etc.^^

What a bullsh1t thread.....somebody here has a huge inferiority complex.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.