Author: wetac0s

China should ban ads with Westerners [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-8-4 21:02:33 |Display all floors
Wetta/Correction you are obsessed with the way Westerners... sorry white people look. You could at least have the honesty to prefix your nonsense with "in my opinion" because you  write like your opinion is fact! You dont have to find white people attractive, any more than I have to find asian people attractive. But obviously some asian people do or the ads wouldnt include them. So who are you trying to persuade?

Perhaps to take the edge off your prejudice you could argue that there should be fewer white people in asian ads - proportionate to the level of non white faces in Western ads?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 01:14:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by verdane at 2010-8-4 21:02
Wetta/Correction you are obsessed with the way Westerners... sorry white people look. You could at least have the honesty to prefix your nonsense with "in my opinion" because you  write l ...

That's exactly what I'm proposing.  China should feature as many White people as the west features Asian people.  Considering the fact that 99% of all advertisements in America only have WHite faces, it would be fair for China to have 99% of their ads with only Asian faces.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 02:05:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wetac0s at 2010-8-5 01:14

That's exactly what I'm proposing.  China should feature as many White people as the west features Asian people.  Considering the fact that 99% of all advertisements in America only have WHite  ...

Fair enough

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 03:30:55 |Display all floors
well... this is up to the Chinese. The Westerners have relatively little influence on adverts in China....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 03:33:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bern2009 at 2010-8-5 03:30
well... this is up to the Chinese. The Westerners have relatively little influence on adverts in China....

Not necessarily.  The company's that have White faces in their advertisements are mostly western companies like Gucci, LV, Armani, Chanel, Vogue, etc...Blame these companies for trying to brainwash Asian people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 03:48:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wetac0s at 2010-8-5 03:33
The company's that have White faces in their advertisements are mostly western companies like Gucci, LV, Armani, Chanel, Vogue, etc...Blame these companies for trying to brainwash Asian people.

I think this is widely exaggerated.

Would you forbid Toyota or Hundai to show Asian faces in Europe?

Moreover: Companies want to . Thus, they show what people want to see. Why should they show more white faces than people want to see? Companies want to make money, not transfer any racial or racist messages.

China can set up a regulation that 99% of all faces in advertisements have to be Asian, same as France has set up a law that 60% (or how much was it?) of all pop songs need to be in French language. However, I don't see the necessity.

[ Last edited by bern2009 at 2010-8-5 03:52 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-5 03:51:41 |Display all floors
one thing I want to add: brands like Gucci, Armani, Chanel etc.  mainly not a product, but a certain feeling or "life style". And this feeling or life style is generally associated with Europe (Paris, Milan, etc.).

In their commercials, I guess they want to transport this feeling. This might be the reason why there are over-proportionally many white faces there.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.