Author: esoteriksky

Do Miners in China need a union? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-8-3 09:37:30 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-3 10:36:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by longzhou at 2010-8-3 09:35

Miners safety of miners rights?

If it's the first China has a huge problem there and it is well known and not always correctly adessed by the local authorities (who many times are directly or  ...

Let me relate a personal experience I had about how things work in China......even though this is about the education system it can be
related to the mining industry.

I worked for a private school in North China and the school I worked for had contracts with the local middle schools to supply a foreign teacher...The private school shipped me here and there to different middle schools but also wanted me to stand outside in the rain to do promotions
I said no because i was sick and went to the local hospital to confirm I was sick and that it would be a bad idea for me to stand outside in the rain.

the owner of the school was furious so I went to the government agency that gives people the right to hire foreign teachers and it turned out this guy had no right to hire foreign teachers and of course that voided the contract.........anyway the point is ,this guy just knew some friend  in the police station -he no doubt gave kick backs to. The schools got their foreign teachers and the government
in no way has any liability because they never issued a permit..........................Welcome to the way things work in China...................

These mines operate with no licence from the government.........therefore if something goes wrong no one takes the blame....

a proactive strong central government could easily put an end to this kind of behavior if they wished to as easy as setting up a well publicized snitch line that people could report illegal mines , make an example of the first mine owner caught , the people would receive more taxes from the operating mines and the workers would have a safer work place..............
really it could be fixed, and it would be beneficial for everyone for it to be fixed...............except the guys getting kickbacks (bribes)

anyway I easily got another better job with another University, and after having my life threatened I got my passport back.........

ha ha fun in China.............but that's another story......

[ Last edited by esoteriksky at 2010-8-3 10:54 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-3 11:33:34 |Display all floors

It's a pitty you had so many bad experiences....

Originally posted by esoteriksky at 2010-8-3 10:36

Let me relate a personal experience I had about how things work in China......even though this is about the education system it can be
related to the mining industry.

I worked for a privat ...

in China, honestly. Seems all the wrongs have been directed to you.

I could tell you our story in China, and that of many others I know, and in no case we have suffered as much as you. And before you jump to conclusions I have and I am working for Chinese companies.

In the expat community life there a type of individual, and this seems to apply to you and that other poster Seneca, for example, that just sees the wrongs of a society or group; even if they're guests to that society.

I'll tell you a story I witnessed in Africa many years ago. We were visitng a native tribe in Mali in an organized tour, between us there was a family including 2 young children. When we arrived in the village it turned out that the female villagers were not wearing any clothes over their breats. Well the father of that family asked the tour guide what type of un-civilized behaviour was that and how come a tour agency promote such attitudes. The answer of the local tour guide was very significant: "Sir you are visitng their land and this are their traditions, please do show respect. If you do not like the view you can stay in the car!"

Back to the miners; it's rwlly a pitty that those before state-owned mines have now fallen in many cases into hands of unscrupulous people that do not respect the basic rights of people. This is being adressed and, contrary to what you say, many have been sentenced and jailed and some even executed for the wrondoings and deaths.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-3 12:03:42 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-3 12:21:51 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-3 12:24:13 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-3 12:26:26 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.