Author: freetofly

I am a Chinese [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-8-1 02:03:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by kyosan at 2010-8-1 01:54
Nice to meet you too. I'm sorry, I should have greeted you earlier.

Well for one thing, people are suspicious of ghosts on this board because there are many of them. It kind of spoils things ...

No hurry to answer my question

We are here for fun, no need to feel pressure

Can you tell me who the bad ghosts are?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-1 02:18:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by kyosan at 2010-8-1 01:54
Nice to meet you too. I'm sorry, I should have greeted you earlier.

Well for one thing, people are suspicious of ghosts on this board because there are many of them. It kind of spoils things ...

Nice chatting with you! Kyosan

What is the meaning of your username Kyosan?

I've got to go. See you later

Good night!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-1 03:16:13 |Display all floors
^^ Liar, ghost or both.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-1 04:12:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freetofly at 2010-7-31 11:18

Nice chatting with you! Kyosan

What is the meaning of your username Kyosan?

I've got to go. See you later

Good night!  

"Kyosan" is a Japanese name.

"san"  is a Japanese gender neutral word for Mr./Mrs./Miss

"kyo" is a Japanese word which means "sutra" or a scripture of Buddhism. I think the Chinese equivalent is "ching" as in Miao-fa-lien-hua-ching

When I officially became a Buddhist the priest who conducted the ceremony was trained in Japan and followed many of the Japanese traditions and I think that is why he gave me a Japanese Buddhist name. I just use that name on the Internet sometimes.

I'm using a Japanese name but I'm not Japanese. I'm a white guy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-1 04:51:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freetofly at 2010-7-31 10:58
We usually stick to one profession during the whole life

I mean those formal jobs, such as teacher, doctor, manager, et al

Do the westerners easily change their jobs?

:)

Some people stick to one profession and others change professions. If you change it and go into a high skilled profession you probably need some training. My wife has changed her profession several times.

When she was in Vietnam she was a school teacher. She got a 4 year degree for that in Vietnam. When she came to the United States she became an electronics test technician in electronics manufacturing. She needed training for that. But it turned out it wasn't her "cup of tea" (I hope you don't mind idioms). Later she got an accounting job and stayed with that for a long time. She liked that. Now she is a translator. She likes that also and most of it is done from our home. She didn't need training for that since she was fluent in 4 languages.

I was first an electronics technician in electronics manufacturing (that's how my wife and I met). Later I became an electronics test engineer. This is closely related to my first profession and I didn't need real much training for it but did take some computer programming classes. I eventually got a BS degree in Computer Science but have never worked as a software engineer.

My father was a machinist pretty much all his life and never changed professions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-1 05:26:57 |Display all floors
So the answer is no. It's not easy to get into another high skilled profession. But in my case, I was promoted by the company I was working for because they knew I had the necessary skills and the job was closely related.

[ Last edited by kyosan at 2010-8-1 07:30 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-8-1 11:17:38 |Display all floors

A couple questions for freetofly

I wonder how expensive public education is in China. In the US we have kindergarten and grades 1-12 which is all free. The public colleges and universities aren't free but are inexpensive for the local residents. I also wonder, in China do they teach Mandarin in all the public schools? It seems to me it would be a good Idea to at least teach some Mandarin in all schools to make verbal communication between people in different regions easier. Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.