Views: 8735|Replies: 71

Cultural Values: Your Mama [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-25 01:04:04 |Display all floors
I'm interested on how cultures view their mothers.

One thing I've always respected about china, is they respect they show for their elders and authority in the family.

What has been your experience of different cultures when it comes to feelings and/or treatment of mothers?

Would you die to protect your mother?  Do you just see her as a servant?  

How much do you love your mama?  How do you show it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 01:14:43 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 01:20:27 |Display all floors
I have to say, I don't like the trend of disrepect that I've seen in just one generation.  
In my generation, we would never dare talk back to our mothers.  Not the case today.

So how about instead of insults, you actually contribute meaningfully to this thread.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 01:42:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 02:33:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Wahahaha at 2010-7-25 01:42
Why would you call my observation an insult I wonder.

Isn't it obvious?  Instead of contributing - ie how things are in your culture, you make a broad statement that everyone else is better than americans.
This thread was not meant to be a contest.  I was just curious to learn about attitudes in other countries / cultures.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 12:27:06 |Display all floors

Cultural Values: Your Mama

In my culture, Indonesia, it is more or less similar as in China which tended on the paternalistic side, as we do respect for older people and we have different usage of words (mostly in more formal way) for them to show the respect compare with person in same level as you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 12:51:23 |Display all floors
well, in african-american culture, their mama is so greasy, she could sweat enough oil to power a small 3rd world country by bending over to reach the fried chicken twice a day

and, also in african-american culture,  their mama is so fat that the BP executives considered dropping her into the Gulf of Mexico so the workers could work on dry land to patch the oil spill, but they were worried about the flooding of inland coastal regions

and african-americans have alot of other such culture regarding their mothers

-

[ Last edited by 1337assassin at 2010-7-25 12:52 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.