Views: 1658|Replies: 4

China hopeful to avoid obesity epidemic, expert says [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-16 18:27:00 |Display all floors
Source: Xinhua

China is hopeful to avoid obesity epidemic if people are aware of the problem and take measures to prevent it now, said Dr. Gemma Gao Yang from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in an exclusive interview with Xinhua during the 11th International Congress on Obesity held in Stockholm on July 11-15.

"China began to see obesity problem in coastal and northern regions where economy develops rapidly since early 1990s, many high level income groups are already aware of this problem," Gao Yang said.

According to Body Mass Index from World Health Organization, China is expected to have about 300 million people who are overweight or obese, accounting to 23 percent of the 1.3 billion people.

Gao Yang said that compared with adult overweight, children's overweight problem is more worrisome.

"This has something to do with the Chinese culture because majority of children live with grandparents and even four grand parents take care of the child, so it is easy to be over-fed and stay indoors much longer time," Gao Yang explained.

"Grandparents also tend to satisfy the children's desire much easily by buying whatever the child wants, including junk food," she said.

On the other hand, due to influence from models, some young girls' malnutrition is another extreme when the girls don't eat enough food and became under weight.

She said the best way is to encourage standard and healthy weight which means that BMI ranges between 18 and 24. If it is over 24, the person is considered overweight and over 28, the person is obese.

Gao Yang said the Chinese government has paid attention to the problem and issued several documents including the Guidelines on Overweight Adults in 2003 and the Guideline on Overweight Children in 2008.

"The government should play the leading role while the whole society should cooperate in implementing policies according to the guidelines, if people can do so, it is hopeful for China to avoid the obese situation in western countries," said Gao.

Gao said China has already got many projects in cooperation with the World Health Organization, but more efforts are needed.

Fighting obesity and living a healthy lifestyle should be included in the government development plan.

On the other hand, Chinese food is still welcomed in China, fruits and vegetables are still cheaper than the western food in China, as long as people are aware of the problem and take proper measures, China could avoid the obesity epidemic, at least not as serious as that in the west.

"The key is to set up a mainstream healthy living style," Gao said.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-16 18:28:06 |Display all floors
And some posters here used to make fun of Americans and Germans in special for being fat.......welcome to the club^^
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-19 00:11:17 |Display all floors
to be expected with all the KFCs and McDonalds full of children along with the change from a bike culture to a car culture. Funny they think education is going to change it, tried in the West, didn't help much. What would change it would be cutting out the advertising everywhere and making sure they have cheap healthy and good tasting alternatives around.

Used to work in Nanjing at Nanjing Normal University and their kindergarten within the campus is situated right behind the McDonald's so all day everyday these kids are sitting there smelling McDonald's food and guess what most of them end up eating for lunch... fat bunch of kids there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-19 00:56:13 |Display all floors
There's a far bigger threat in China: jiaozi. It's convenient, fast, cheap and addictive. I was living beside a mcDonalds too and usually chose to eat jiaozi for lunch (which eventually led the laoban to tell me that they also server other food)
No, seriously, I can't understand why there are some people who prefer junk food from (in China even cheaper) Chinese food.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-19 01:37:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Everynowhere at 2010-7-18 09:56
There's a far bigger threat in China: jiaozi. It's convenient, fast, cheap and addictive. I was living beside a mcDonalds too and usually chose to eat jiaozi for lunch (which eventually led the lao ...

I agree with that; a person could get fat on either American or Chinese food. I would say avoid eating real many jiaozi. Eat fruits and vegetables.

And like you, I like Chinese food. Nothing tastes better to me than good Chinese food. When my wife and I stayed in China for a couple weeks, we ate out almost all the time at Chinese restaurants. We knew where Mcdonalds was but never went there.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.