Author: Alex2010

Women in China Embrace Divorce as Stigma Eases [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-15 08:05:11 |Display all floors
I'm surprised there aren't more divorces in China, what with the arranged marriages and those which are purely for material or status gain. These marriages must surely be, for the most part, unhappy and in cases such as this, divorce shouldn't be stigmatised if it leads to both partners being happier.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 08:48:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2010-7-15 08:05
I'm surprised there aren't more divorces in China, what with the arranged marriages and those which are purely for material or status gain. These marriages must surely be, for the most part, unhappy and in cases such as this, divorce shouldn't be stigmatised if it leads to both partners being happier.

Arranged marriages are unhappy while non-arranged marriages are happy? Is that why the divorce rate is so high in the "free" West?

Marriage is about committment and acceptance of the other person. The moment you raise expectations about self-fulfilment, the divorce rate goes up. The West has only empty promises and no solutions - precisely what it is offering Ta!wan to "divorce" China!

Divorce should be discouraged for the good of society.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 08:54:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by nebula1 at 2010-7-15 08:48

Arranged marriages are unhappy while non-arranged marriages are happy? Is that why the divorce rate is so high in the "free" West?

Marriage is about committment and acceptance of t ...

In a way you're right I suppose. Both types should have an equal chance of success but, to my way of thinking, I'd rather marry for happiness and love than material gain.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 09:08:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2010-7-15 08:54
In a way you're right I suppose. Both types should have an equal chance of success but, to my way of thinking, I'd rather marry for happiness and love than material gain.

Of course we would all want the freedom to choose, but that offers no guarantee on success in marriage.

Couples should try hard to resolve their problems and divorce must be the last resort.

[ Last edited by nebula1 at 2010-7-15 09:09 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 09:45:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by nebula1 at 2010-7-15 09:08

Of course we would all want the freedom to choose, but that offers no guarantee on success in marriage.

Couples should try hard to resolve their problems and divorce must be the last resort.

Now, in this we can agree

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 10:20:38 |Display all floors
even' Love at first sight' couples choose to divorce, which doesn't mean mislove.  they ever fell  in deep love.
The reality ,the change, the fresh and so on that cause divorce.. nobody should be blamed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 10:45:02 |Display all floors
Divorce is quite normal in China as the society is more tolerant to some degrees. I think many, if not most, of Chinese women cannot accept extramarital affairs, which are said to be betrayal of love, marriage and family. And I believe they are main reasons why the couples get divorced. Also, today's Chinese women are not dependant uopon their husbands for living. They are independant, with their career and friends. So if they are not pleased, they can quit anytime. Is this a kind of social progress?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.