Author: mariame

Should China relax one-child policy? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-15 13:17:55 |Display all floors

Reply #14 mariame's post

rural population is "shrinking", isn't it?

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 13:33:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mariame at 2010-7-14 15:03
Should China relax one-child policy as it faces more and more aging population? Time is different with more urban couples who don't want children at the expense of their own happiness. And for thos ...

It's already relaxed the policy in rural areas. In urban areas, you can have two children if both you and your
spouse are the only child in family.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-7-15 13:36:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mariame at 2010-7-15 14:15

I'm aware that many rural families have two kids but what will happen if the government officially agrees to a two child policy for all? I believe that the number of kids in rural areas will soon increase to three whereas urban residents will only have a small increase. China still has more than 700 million people who live in rural or semi-rural areas. Many of these people still consider kids as an insurance for their old age. A less strict policy could easily lead to a 'population explosion', well, that's at least what I believe. I'm no expert but consider the well-being of a society as a whole more valuable for a country than satisfying individuals' need to have more kids.

Just my two yen.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-7-15 13:42:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2010-7-15 14:17

That's correct, but still more than 50% of China's population lives in rural areas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 13:47:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2010-7-15 13:17

Green DRagon
Game Master

With rural residents' migration to cities, it is estimated that China's rural population will decrease to 0.4 billion from the current 0.9 billion. And it brings about a problem. Who will farm the land if most of the young people leave for the cities and only the elderly and women left in the villages?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-7-15 13:49:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mariame at 2010-7-15 14:47

With rural residents' migration to cities, it is estimated that China's rural population will decrease to 0.4 billion from the current 0.9 billion. And it brings about a problem. Who will farm th ...

Is it still 900 million (rural population)?  Somewhere I read it's around 750 or so. Not sure where it was.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 14:01:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2010-7-15 13:49

Is it still 900 million (rural population)?  Somewhere I read it's around 750 or so. Not sure where it was.

According to the latest census, China's net rural population is about 720 million, and those who have left the countryside to live in urban areas for more than half year are not included. In fact,  their population is about 170 million to 180 million.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.