Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-23 16:54:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-7-23 17:07:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Desaview2 at 2010-7-23 17:54
China's Green Beat: Wind Power in China

Tkx for the two links. I had already a look at the second one. The first one needs one hour and I'll check it over the weekend.

A short remark:   I'm no radical when it comes to energy changes. I know that the job cannot be done overnight but I'm really glad to see and have the chance to experience the many changes inside China, in particular in its western regions, such as Yunnan, Sichuan, Qinghai, Xizang and so on. It really makes me happy when I see that solar energy is used in remote mountain villages or wind turbines in semi desert areas. What a turn of events to, let's say, ten years ago.

Living in a country where protection of the environment is very high on the agenda it fulfills me with joy to see that China has embraced the same course. After all, nature is a present that MUST be protected for our generation and many that follow. It belongs to all of us, to all of mankind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-23 17:19:47 |Display all floors

Reply #31 satsu_jin's post

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-23 17:40:42 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-25 03:31:29 |Display all floors
I had never heard of offshore wind power plants. It seems that they would be more expensive to build and operate. What are the advantages over land-based wind power plants? stronger or more constant wind?

I think that another important way to be green is reducing energy consumption. Here are a few things that would help accomplish that:

More energy efficient homes that are well insulated and sufficiently tight. In the predominantly cold areas use sunlight and thermo mass effectively. In the predominantly warm areas have excellent ventilation. In areas where cooling is needed and the relative humidity is low use evaporative cooling rather than air conditioning since it's much more energy efficient.

Public transportation in areas where it's efficient (especially in cities).

Encourage people to walk or use a bicycle whenever practical. Of course this has the added benefit of reducing obesity.

Developing inexpensive energy-efficient fuel-cell cars.

Using energy-efficient LED lighting. I think today the best LEDs match or beat fluorescent lights in energy-efficiency and it's believed that in the future much more efficient LEDs will be developed. But high power LED bulbs for house lighting are very expensive and hardly anyone uses them. The price needs to come down and the efficiency needs to be increased.

Using energy-efficient computers. That seems to be the trend today; many people are using laptops or nettops. But even desktops can be made fairly energy-efficient if properly designed. My dual-core computer which I built about 2-3 years ago is fairly good for most purposes and it typically drains about 74 watts including the 20 inch monitor. I could build a similar system that takes even less power today since the power consumption of the components has dropped since then.

[ Last edited by kyosan at 2010-7-26 04:05 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-26 13:00:50 |Display all floors

Reply #34 kyosan's post

increasing electricity sources, improving efficient use

that's the basis

reducing menial work, using power tool to become more productive is the trend nowadays!
improving quality of life

such matters, ms. kyosan!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.