Views: 2850|Replies: 6

Watch out for China-US tension at sea [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-12 06:12:20 |Display all floors
Watch out for China-US tension at sea
Source: Global Times [02:02 July 12 2010]

The eventuality that Beijing has to prepare for is close at hand. The delayed US-South Korean naval exercise in the Yellow Sea is now slated for mid-July. According to media reports, a nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier has left its Japanese base and is headed for the drill area.

In their recent responses, several high-ranking Chinese navy officials have made it plain that China will not stay in "hands-off" mode as the drill gets underway. For that will make the US believe that China's defense circle on the sea is small, and, therefore, US fleets will be able to freely cruise over the Yellow Sea, East China Sea and South China Sea in the future.

Military experts have warned that if the joint drill really takes place off the western coast of South Korea, Chinese airplanes and warships will very likely go all the way out to closely watch the war game maneuvers. Within such proximity on not-so-clearly-marked international waters, any move that is considered hostile to the other side can willy-nilly trigger a rash reaction, which might escalate into the unexpected or the unforeseen.

One false move, one wrong interpretation, is all it would take for the best-planned exercises to go awry.

Wang Jisi, dean of the School of International Studies at Peking University, says he is most worried about another collision crisis like the one over the South China Sea in 2001, when a Chinese fighter jet crashed into a US spy plane.

The impact of a crisis on that scale would be tremendous, making any dispute over trade or the yuan's value between the two in recent years pale in comparison. Anti-US sentiment will be re-ignited among Chinese people despite the recent affirmations of warmth in the relationship, and a significant fan following in China for the charismatic US president Barack Obama.

With the growth of China's economic power, the country will definitely extend its defense capability to the high seas. The US, far from trying to contain this assertiveness, should face up to the reality, and facilitate the Chinese navy to be peacefully integrated into the international system. This is China's legitimate due, which it cannot be denied for long.

By the same token, China needs to be patient. The island chains in the western Pacific cannot block China from entering the open waters. But the country should move forward one step at a time, to show its confidence and to emphasize its goal of keeping peace.

The US has long been a naval superpower, and will be understandably uneasy about accepting the fact that China is a growing power and can no longer keep silent when US warships enter China's sphere of influence.

Since both sides lack experience of contact over the seas, the two countries should learn to get along with each other. First, the US must allow China space to explore. Second, the two navies need to increase exchanges to prevent further misunderstanding.

Tension is mounting over the US-South Korean joint exercise. Beijing and Washington still have time, and leeway, to desist from moving toward a possible conflict on the Yellow Sea.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 06:13:32 |Display all floors

Still the ChinaDaily administrator is allowing white anglo motherfcukers to post here!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 08:21:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by communistsec at 2010-7-11 14:12
The eventuality that Beijing has to prepare for is close at hand... According to media reports, a nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier has left its Japanese base and is headed for the drill area.

I heard different. I just heard that the exercise has actually just been scrapped   Flash: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gMEFC7eXk74KBudZVCpBKWr_Mr6wD9GIDB180  considering strong opposition [swf]http://www.jamestown.org/programs/chinabrief/single/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=36600&tx_ttnews[backPid]=25&cHash=386dfbadd0[/swf] from China.  

Anyway, no more Taiwan Straight second class citizen for us anymore I hope because, even then, declassified information now suggests Deng scrambled jet fighters (principally then latest of J-7's designed to tackle F-16's and Mirage-2000's) to buzz and block the carriers Clinton dispatched and the incident came to a halt because if the US fires on the J-7's it will have resulted in a military confrontation never before seen since the Korean war. America and Taipei wasn't up to that i suppose.

Stil, I do wish a Cuban Bay of Pig's style naval blockade to show that we have some Kim Jong Ill balls but, the good life that China had been enjoying on America's expenses over the last two decades tells me that the [economic stakes are greater than the national pride] and that China won't chance losing all of what she had gained, economically, over some face saving. I mean this is not as simple as denying visiting rights to Gates, you know. This bears huge economic consequences.

Regardless if the politics that governs today's China is KMT, CCP, or even those of dynastic China, we Chinese are still money (economic) grabbing pigs and we won't give up that unending stream of national revenues because no matter how innocent things may look, there is, ultimately, huge pilferage somewhere (Know what I mean?)...  

In other words, Chen Sui Bian's exists everywhere in Chinese society and that's what westerners love about China, it's because they ultimately get a cut of this China pie -- discreetly of course.

[swf][/swf]
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 08:43:41 |Display all floors

Yes, thats why I call the Chinese leaders who negotiate with the invading forces pimps who can s e l l their own mothers, daughters and sisters for money.

Such coward docile submissive weak effeminate slavish minded people should be wiped off. They have no self respect....no self dignity...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 09:30:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by communistsec at 2010-7-11 14:13

Still the ChinaDaily administrator is allowing white anglo motherfcukers to post here!!!

that's why i said i do believe in god... i mean it's clear isn't it? especially since many of my posts, which are very very nationalistic, and hence should be treated as valued, instead gets censored? yes, god does exist and it exist everywhere -- even in the internet.
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 12:41:30 |Display all floors

Reply #1 communistsec's post

BIG POWER "chicken games".......

See my muscles, USA Navy growls....
China, look at mine, PLAN shouts...

Wa ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-15 08:20:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2010-7-12 12:41
BIG POWER "chicken games".......

See my muscles, USA Navy growls....
China, look at mine, PLAN shouts...

Wa ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

These sure are interesting times we live in huh! I think this is a big stink over nothing.
As for commiesec being deleted etc. well, maybe you should watch your language etc and start being a bit more productive instead of calling certain ethnic groups obscene names etc. The mods do their job(s) as they see fit, not as you see fit for them to do. It might pay to remember that!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.