Author: ilearnabc

Government Bans Reporters in Gulf [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-13 16:49:21 |Display all floors
Methane is now streaming through the porous, rocky seabed at an accelerated rate and gushing from the borehole of the first relief well. The EPA is on record that Rig #1 is releasing methane, benzene, hydrogen sulfide and other toxic gases. Workers
there now wear advanced protection including state-of-the-art, military-issued gas masks.

Reports, filtering through from oceanologists and salvage workers in the region, state that the upper level strata of the ocean floor is succumbing to greater and greater pressure. That pressure is causing a huge expanse of the seabed-estimated by
some as spreading over thousands of square miles surrounding the BP wellhead-to bulge. Some claim the seabed in the region has risen an astounding 30 feet.

The fractured BP wellhead, site of the former Deepwater Horizon, has become the epicenter of frenetic attempts to quell the monstrous flow of methane.

The subterranean methane is pressurized at 100,000 pounds psi. According to Matt Simmons, an oil industry expert, the methane pressure at the wellhead has now skyrocketed to a terrifying 40,000 pounds psi.

Another well-respected expert, Dr. John Kessler of Texas A&M University has calculated that the ruptured well is spewing 60 percent oil and 40 percent methane. The normal methane amount that escapes from a compromised well is about 5 percent.

More evidence? A huge gash on the ocean floor—like a ragged wound hundreds of feet long—has been reported by the NOAA research ship, Thomas Jefferson. Before the curtain of the government enforced news blackout again descended abruptly, scientists aboard the ship voiced their concerns that the widening rift may go down miles into the earth.

That gash too is hemorrhaging oil and methane. It’s 10 miles away from the BP epicenter. Other, new fissures, have been spotted as far as 30 miles distant.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-13 16:50:51 |Display all floors

nice post

it illustrates at least three points - the progressive, inexorable loss of civil liberty in America. In this case, freedom of speech,as defined in the US Constitution.

secondly, the fallibility of science in the face of the unknown. In this case, the science of deep sea drilling.

thirdly, linking the two, who really controls the government
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-13 17:02:35 |Display all floors

Methane

Researchers from Texas A&M University have calculated that the rupture is now releasing more methane as well as oil- 60% oil and 40% methane. At concentrations between 5-15% methane an air/methane mixture is explosive, and the rupture could well be spilling this deadly cocktail for decades.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-13 17:05:00 |Display all floors
I read about the issue of drilling into pressurised gas under the seabed

I know next to nothing about the geophysics of it

If it ruptures, my heart goes out to all those affected
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-13 17:05:36 |Display all floors
Gaia is about to fart in the face of the U.S., perhaps with a lighted match.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-13 17:07:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lebeast at 2010-7-13 17:05
I read about the issue of drilling into pressurised gas under the seabed

I know next to nothing about the geophysics of it

If it ruptures, my heart goes out to all those affected

Could well affect everyone on earth, not just in the U.S.

A very depressing lesson for human greed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-13 17:17:07 |Display all floors

yes

I read about that too

As I understand, in Texas, there are tarballs on some beaches, from previous problems with oil spills

I'm not sure this present disaster is about pure greed, per se

It looks more like an issue related to a search for oil in ever increasingly risky places

But it is very fair to say, that there should be no "cover up" of the consequences

It will look very stupid if the whole floor disintegrates and all the gas/oil in the trap is liberated, spreading to other continents

It will be hard to suppress media coverage of a disaster of that magnitude, unless the newly created internet "kill switch" is pulled (curiously the legislation was passed at the same time as this disaster)
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.