Views: 7523|Replies: 13

Shenzhen [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-10 10:46:19 |Display all floors
I will hopefully be working in Shenzhen teaching math and physics; what can you tell me about the city?  The things I have read about it so far have not been good.  Too many pickpockets, con artists everywhere, prostitutes following you wherever you go, no historical culture, etc.  

However, surely it must have some good things?  What is it like living there?  Specifically, I will be living in the Bao'an district (Tao Yuan Ju).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 11:52:15 |Display all floors
Have fun! Tour the Cruise ship district. Things are expensive. Night life is fun. Music is great. You shouldn't worry about pickpockets. What is it that you really want to know?

[ Last edited by kingleo4ever at 2010-7-10 11:53 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-10 15:23:29 |Display all floors
I'm not really sure.  For such a large city, there is little discussion about it.  There is the Shenzhen Party website but it's simply horrible; hard to find any real info, lots of stupid posts, people trying to make a buck, etc.  
I guess I'd like to know what life there is like, especially in the Bao'an district.  Availability of foreign goods, general attitude of the people, how bad are the police, etc.  I've read about the few places to go (amusement parks mostly).  Ok, that's great and all, but there are like 5 or 6 places and I can hit all ofthose within a month.  Then there is the shopping which is why most people seem to want to go there; I don't really like to shop.  I'm getting older and going to concerts and clubs has no appeal to me anymore.  Does this mean I will be bored out of my mind in Shenzhen?  This is all it has?  

What is the air like?  How fast is the internet (I've heard very slow).  What's the average pay (that is, when you say things are expensive... HOW expensive)?  Are there alot of places to enjoy activities that don't involve parties, drinking, or loose women?  Surely the city has more to offer but I can't seem to find it.  

Well, in the end I guess it doesn't matter.  I'm going anyway and over the years will just learn it on my own, I guess.  Just curious to learn what I can before I get there.  I've never been to China before, should be an adventure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 08:59:55 |Display all floors
Omg... do not know why you have so many question. But after all, life is always one your  hand and you can lead it to the one you like. This is a good city and what the bad thing syou mention is often happened as my experience being here for more than 1 hours and often go outside,
    What makes me feel strange is that you have never been to China but go here teaching math and physics?
I try to know you, but get nothing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 20:54:47 |Display all floors
Well, I'm excited and worried about living in China for the first time.  Naturally, I want to know EVERYTHING about the city, haha.  

Why would it make you feel weird that I would teach math and physics?  Well, I'm an engineer that has studied Mandarin Chinese for 3 years.  I have realized that I will never master the language without living there.  I could make enough money to live comfortably for 1-3 years but it would be very difficult to get a tourist visa for that long.  The easiest way into China is to work there.  I was going to teach English, since I have considerable talent in that area (even when compared to other native speakers) but I found a job that will utilize my greatest talents (math, physics, etc).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-12 21:18:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Shazzamm at 2010-7-12 20:54
Well, I'm excited and worried about living in China for the first time.  Naturally, I want to know EVERYTHING about the city, haha.  

Why would it make you feel weird that I would teach math and ...

Be happy you didn`t chose to become an English teacher in China. Somehow they are looked down upon by expats as well as Chinese(especially here on this forum)^^
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2010-7-12 23:19:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-7-12 21:18

Be happy you didn`t chose to become an English teacher in China. Somehow they are looked down upon by expats as well as Chinese(especially here on this forum)^^

But without English Teachers in China for the last 20 years, there would be little conversation from chinese on this forum. or at least flar worserer  gwammer

I have no time for teachers in UK> lazy ar$es, so much time off and stressed all the time (haha).  But good luck to Anglo teachers in China they must be worth their weight in gold

Chao Ren VFP

[ Last edited by 1584austin at 2010-7-12 11:20 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.