Author: expatter

Was the Treaty of Versailles a Fair Document ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-1 18:36:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-7-1 18:31

Err....

About what occupation are you talking? WW2? Again, history is rich of facettes.....do you know where the oldest German university used to be? Prague^^   There was a European histor ...

I am talking about before WWI.  The habsburgs, austro-hungarian rule.  Was it the germans or romans that forced use of latin alphabet?  I know it happened pretty quickly after the great moravian empire.
But my history is a little rusty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 18:38:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-7-1 18:31
Sudetenland was German, no slavs settling there....

This is where you are wrong.  Slavs were there since the 6th century.
It was the habsburgs that encouraged german 'settlement' of bohemia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 18:43:21 |Display all floors

Map of Great Moravia

Slovakia_04.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 18:44:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-7-1 18:36

I am talking about before WWI.  The habsburgs, austro-hungarian rule.  Was it the germans or romans that forced use of latin alphabet?  I know it happened pretty quickly after the great moravia ...

Before WW1...oh, then we have to go back a looooong time ago. The slaves arrived after Germanic tribes that left.
After the Bavarian emigration, Bohemia was partially repopulated around the sixth century by the Slavic precursors of today's Czechs, though the exact amount of Slavic immigration is a subject of debate. The Slavic influx was divided into two or three waves. The first wave came from the southeast and east, when the Germanic Langobards left Bohemia (circa 568 AD). Later immigrants came from the Black Sea region, as shown by Iranian place names as "Dudleb" (today in Prachens region, South Bohemia) and "Charvat" (Choroathos). Soon after, from the 630s to 660s, the territory was taken by Samo's tribal confederation. His death marked the end of the old "Slavonic" confederation, the second attempt to establish such a Slavonic union after Carantania in Carinthia.

And I guess you`ll call this occupation too:
Initially, Bohemia was a part of Greater Moravia. The latter, which had been weakened by years of internal conflict and constant warfare, ultimately succumbed and fragmented due to the continual incursions of the invading nomadic Magyars and Avars. However, Bohemia's initial incorporation into the Moravian Empire resulted in the extensive Christianization of the population. A native monarchy arose to the throne, and Bohemia came under the rule of the Přemyslid dynasty, which would rule the Czech lands for the next several hundred years.  The Přemyslids secured their frontiers from the remnant Asian interlocurs, after the collapse of the Moravian state, by entering into a state of semi-vassalage to the Frankish rulers. This alliance was facilitated by Bohemia's conversion to Christianity, in the ninth century. Continuing close relations were developed with the East Frankish kingdom, which devolved from the Carolingian Empire, into East Francia, eventually becoming the Holy Roman Empire.  After a decisive victory of the Holy Roman Empire and Bohemia over invading Magyars in the 955 Battle of Lechfeld, Boleslaus I of Bohemia was granted the March of Moravia by German emperor Otto the Great. Bohemia would remain a largely autonomous state under the Holy Roman Empire for several decades. The jurisdiction of the Holy Roman Empire was definitively reasserted when Jaromír of Bohemia was granted fief of the Kingdom of Bohemia by Emperor King Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire, with the promise that he hold it as a vassal once he re-occupied Prague with a German army in 1004, ending the rule of Boleslaw I of Poland.  The first to use the title of "King of Bohemia" were the Přemyslid dukes Vratislav II (1085) and Vladislav II (1158), but their heirs would return to the title of duke. The title of king became hereditary under Ottokar I (1198). His grandson Ottokar II (king from 1253–1278) conquered a short-lived empire which contained modern Austria and Slovenia. The mid-thirteenth century saw the beginning of substantial German immigration as the court sought to replace losses from the brief Mongol invasion of Europe in 1241. Germans settled primarily along the northern, western, and southern borders of Bohemia, although many lived in towns throughout the kingdom.

History isn`t that simple.....who was first, who occupied whome....and and and. For centuries Bohemia was part of the Holy Roman Empire.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 18:46:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-7-1 18:38

This is where you are wrong.  Slavs were there since the 6th century.
It was the habsburgs that encouraged german 'settlement' of bohemia.

One long answer in the filter.......the slavs arrived there after the Bavarians who left westwards.....this debate will find no end talking about who was there first....probably some Neanderthal guy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 18:48:48 |Display all floors

Census 1910

800px-German1910.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 18:49:29 |Display all floors
It was the celtic boii that lived in the region before the slavs arrived.  Hence the name 'bohemia' deriving from the boii.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.