Views: 5592|Replies: 20

Foreigners still kept at arm's length by Chinese culture [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-30 15:00:25 |Display all floors
As a Chinese, i and the most chinese don't think that Chinese words like "laowai" and "foreigner" are somehow offensive to international friends. We just used to this kind of expression and these words won't likely to be replaced in a short time i believe. so that please, "international friends", i'm afraid that you have to wait for a while to hear us to call you in another name. but i do appreciate that some people from other countries really consider Chinese as their friends whenever they're in china or other parts of the world.

global times

http://opinion.globaltimes.cn/foreign-view/2010-06/546802.html

"Laowai!" Strolling along China's sidewalks and alleys, we hear it every day. It's slang for "waiguoren" meaning foreigner. For those without Chinese language skills, waiguoren would directly translate "outside-of-the-country-person." It's logical, and should suffice to describe foreigners. But laowai?

A direct translation of this word reflects the true feelings of some Chinese toward foreigners. Lao, a common word meaning old, can also be used to express "old friends." In other words, friends for a long time, or always. The second half of the word means outside. Direct translation: Always outside.

Every country has racists, including the US. But, it's considered uncivil to make people feel like outsiders, especially if they've been there a long time. But, foreigners living in China, even for decades, are still "always outsiders."

The US and other "foreign" countries have plenty of discrimination; especially in the past, but how we distinguish Waiguoren is different. Chinese students are surprised when I inform them that when they study abroad most people won't call them "foreign students."
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 15:19:40 |Display all floors
Right, if a German child would point at a Chinese in a German supermarket and say"Look, a foreigner!" the mother would scold him and maybe even excuse him/her. IF a child would do this.....I have never witnessed this and heard about it. While in China....you see and hear it all the time. But I`m already used to it and don`t mind. I use to make fun of it...pointing at other foreigners myself on the street and saying loudly in Chinese: "Ni kan, laowai!" Gets me quite some strange looks from the Chinese^^

[ Last edited by Alex2010 at 2010-6-30 03:20 PM ]
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 15:26:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-6-30 15:19
Right, if a German child would point at a Chinese in a German supermarket and say"Look, a foreigner!" the mother would scold him and maybe even excuse him/her. IF a child would do this... ...

Errrr.... we Chinese don't call monkeys as laowais,
your experience may probably be just your own imagination.
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 15:33:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by correction at 2010-6-30 15:26

Errrr.... we Chinese don't call monkeys as laowais,
your experience may probably be just your own imagination.

You are not the brightest aren`t you?! Taking my avatar for real.....and thinking I`m a monkey. What does this make you? Judging from your avatar.....^^

But your avatar really fits the quality of your posts.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 15:43:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-6-30 15:33

You are not the brightest aren`t you?! Taking my avatar for real.....and thinking I`m a monkey. What does this make you? Judging from your avatar.....^^

But your avatar really fits the quali ...

I never claimed to be the brightest.
But judging from your avatar,
that might have some resemblance to YOU.
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 16:06:36 |Display all floors
I always try to blend in...
Thing is when i try to speak Chinese, my pronunciation sucks, and they stare...
Ni laowai ma?  Ni shenme difang ren? Ah..ta shi wai guo ren...  
get used to it...
but sometimes, i feel like i'm being cheated because they always give me a higher price when i wanna buy something..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 16:09:51 |Display all floors
Its better than gwello.

Only just.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.