Views: 20529|Replies: 136

Is French Really Useless? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-23 10:09:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-23 10:13:29 |Display all floors
Haha I agree with him.  France/French is totally useless.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-6-23 10:36:03 |Display all floors

Wahahaha

A complete waste of space.

We had to learn compulsory French when I was at school.

That will be to do with the English government being French from 1066 for 300 years where the language of government was French only. Chaucer helped change that.

The French still believed they were, and are a world power. Not any more.

They are so arrogant and no member of the French government is allowed to speak English or use English words.

They almost curled up and died when French lost out to English as the language of diplomacy.  

Where is French used?

France, Quebec, Mississippi and a couple of former African slave states?

Better off with Spanish and Mandarin at least you can get a wider coverage.

Someone once said that, "The best government the French ever had was from 1940 - 1945".  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-23 11:13:20 |Display all floors
No matter French is useless or not, I hope Chinese had better to learn info. about our competitors as much as possible.

France is a country of self-esteem, when it comes to inherit domestic cultures including French, and keeps its diplomatic independency. In stark contrast, India is a doomed country, though it became independent,  the mental status of its people has been being colonised, so they have to adopt English as their national language.  English is nothing superior than the mother tongue of other nations.

I double thumb for its ex President Chirac when he left out to protest his staff who spoke in English in EU Summit.

Come back to the topic, I wouldn't like to say  French is useless, since France is one of the most important countries in Europe, though the status of French is declining.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-23 11:36:02 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-23 11:43:02 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-23 11:46:17 |Display all floors
I initially mistook the title talking about the French World Cup squad, which answer would be easy

Anyhow, when a language is the official national language in 29 countries and spoken by at least 400 million people, well, you can hardly say it is useless. It would depends on your own priorities and interests.

It is true though that Caucasians embedded in the Western cultures have more difficulties to learn "exotic" "foreign non-Roman" languages like Persian, Chinese and Russians...

For us it is important we learn more languages, as being able to understand a language is essential in understanding someone's else culture.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.