Author: wetac0s

Rent-a-White guy [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-30 17:13:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2010-6-30 16:40

The skin colour will play a part to some degree.

If that were true, it's really sad,
imagine, it's already bad that Chinese find it hard to
understand  native English speakers with funny native accent,
what's more about those who aren't native English speakers,
e.g Russian, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Czech, French men, etc, etc
who themselves have poor grasp of English language,
and they're employed as ELT in China because of white skin,
really the damage done to our Chinese students is  beyond imagination.
In my view, not all native English speakers are suitable to teach our Chinese students,
due to their heavy accent and poor grasp of English grammar.
Until today I still have great difficulty trying to understand someone with cockney accent.
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 18:02:16 |Display all floors
Are there many Russian, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Czech, French men, etc, etc
working as ELT in China???
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 18:23:04 |Display all floors
Most schools want a native speaker but honestly most private schools will take anyone off the street.  As long as they look like a native speaker, they just don't give a damn.  It's all about the money.  I remember one teacher went to China to teach English for a private school.  He was working very hard to be the best teacher he could be and really cared for the students.  During his vacation, he went down south and enjoyed the beaches and tropical sun.  He got a really nice tan!  When he returned, his supervisor was horrified at the tan and told him that if he ever tanned again he would be fired.  That poor teacher immediately knew what they cared about and it wasn't whether he was a good teacher.  

You can still find work teaching English if you aren't white but it's more difficult.  They really want someone they can show to the parents of prospective students so that the parents can go, "Oh, yes, he is very white, this must be a good school.  Here is our money."  However, really, if a school rejects you for not being white it's probably a trash school anyway... maybe being rejected for skin color is a good thing, a way to weed out the garbage schools.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 19:12:20 |Display all floors
If you as an individual got a good job primarlily on skin colour i dont suppose you'd be complaining.

It should obviously go on ability first.

But dont spoil a good prejudice if it suits you  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 20:17:46 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-30 21:39:40 |Display all floors

purlease dont make me laugh...

chinese rmb is not easy to come by you kokoo nuts outhere, and obviously not the vietnamese DONG either  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-1 03:43:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2010-6-30 21:45

Let's paraphrase my old flame, Wettie Sweattie: 'If you want to talk with me, you must always come up with verified facts. Quote your sources. COme up with stats!' Not verbatim but approximat ...

Colonialism has a lot to do with it.  Why do you think Black people straighten their hair and try to date lighter skinned blacks?  Why do you think Spanish television has mostly "white" actors with blond hair and blue eyes?  Why do you think Asian countries would rather hire a white person to teach ESL even if they're from Russia?  

The world has been and is still dominated by the west.  You wouldn't understand since you're white, but us non-whites do have an inferiority complex that is justified.  Blacks, Asians, hispanics, etc... all have it.  This is reality, not some fantasy land where there is no such thing as race.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.