Author: mychina

The Chinese language will overtake the English language [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-18 11:25:32 |Display all floors
by the way, sharon78 , your putonghua is ok ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-18 11:30:32 |Display all floors

in other words...

Originally posted by seneca at 2010-6-17 19:06

The truth is that Chinese Mandarin instructors are unique by their clumsiness and ineptness in giving sound explanations.;

In my experience, Europeans who have studied Mandarin back home  ...

chinglish is better than english itself...just cant believe that i passed my english proficiency exam just now with SENECA (bravo for the job well done)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-18 21:10:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by youknowhat at 2010-6-17 20:38

lemme give you a friendly advice for now...nuttin will last 4ever (hopefully your marriage)  

which is why i said it would be "hard" to replace english. of course nothing lasts forever. no one disputed that.

once something is established, it's very very hard to displace. can u imagine what it would take to replace windows as the defacto operating system for PCs?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-19 05:50:29 |Display all floors
I think the opposite will be the case for the next decades, the momentum for English is only accelerating; as Chinese companies start to expand abroad and have their own proper multinational companies they will have to teach their whole management solid English and intercultural management skills. Just look at this University and many others: http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/
This is just the first of its kind, more are bound to follow for precisely the above stated reason. And as Chinas cultural appeal is still heavily lacking, the major reason for many foreigners learning Mandarin, that is to do business, will weaken as an argument. Currently there are almost no non-native Mandarin speakers, this will of course change, but not dramatically for a very long time.
@mychina: Despite the factual errors of your post there is one suggestion that makes sense: Publish media in pinyin. Foreigners at large aren't going to learn to write and read characters, there isn't the slightest chance. So in order to avoid Chinese to be just a spoken language for the majority there has to be a gradual shift towards more pinyin. Chinese has the choice to be either a global or a traditional language.
But to counter the global trend of almost all scientific research, all press releases, non-local media etc etc. being published in English China still has to wait a long time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-19 08:34:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by baoluo1 at 2010-6-18 02:50
First of all, Chinese (Mandarin) is already the most spoken language in the world. It has more speakers than any other language. English is and has been the dominant international language for the  ...

What also needs to be considered is the alphabet.
English uses the most widespread alphabet, Latin, along with the millions of speakers of dozens of other languages, including many Asian languages.
Even Chinese uses the Latin alphabet to render the spoken languages of China in an official form.
English (along with most European languages) have not officially adopted any other alphabet other than Latin or those derived from the Greek predecessor (eg modern Greek or the widely used Cyrillic)

While China uses Hanzhi script, there is an automatic block against widespread uptake of Chinese languages.

Learning Latin script, I can have a pretty good go at speaking, reading and remembering information in dozens and dozens of languages in scores of countries around the world, representing hundreds of different cultures.
If I learn Chinese script, it's pretty much useless for general and official use outside of China & Taiwan.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-19 08:37:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Mockiavelli at 2010-6-18 21:10

can u imagine what it would take to replace windows as the defacto operating system for PCs?

An actual alternative worth more than a milli second of consideration and a big lol afterwards about the thought, for the start?
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-19 22:56:01 |Display all floors

english is a language of trade

there are characteristics of each language that tailors to certain aspects of culture. an eskimo may have a dozen different words for ice but not a single one for fruit. therefore, inuit is probably not a language for chefs. i remember a linguist labeling english as a language of trade. it makes sense for a island nation that relied heavily on imports from mainland europe and the world.

a language of trade is obviously gonna spread much easier since trade is what brings different cultures together. add this to the fact that english is already the preferred default language around the world and it is even less likely that the world will somehow choose to learn chinese just to placate the lazy and ignorate section of the chinese masses who refuse to learn the global language out of some childishly nationalistic pride.

french = love and war
korean = science
italian = violent gae prison "lovin"

[ Last edited by Mockiavelli at 2010-6-19 10:57 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.