Author: timbatu

Crisis Looming for China K-12 Schools [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-20 15:09:49 |Display all floors
Timbatu, stop making assumptions about me.  You have NO CLUE what my Chinese language level is, or how well I know some of my students.   Is this the kind of reasoning they teach at your school?  Also, personal insults (you called me clueless) are potential signs of a person with poor logic and reasoning.  After all, a person with strong points would not have to resort to ad hominum attacks.  Attack the argument, not the person!  Get rid of the logical fallacies and than we can talk more.  

Seneca makes some good points which you conveniently ignore.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-23 14:18:55 |Display all floors
Chinese education is better at Math and some of the sciences. Western education is better at creative subjects, especially languages, music, arts and such.
Both have good and bad points. Rather than portraying it as Either one or the other I don't get why people don't just start joining the two, have some classes of memorization coupled with classes of creative interaction.

And Timbatu you are 100% wrong about the Cheating, Chinese students plagarize Huge amounts of their work and do cheat a lot more because the punishment for these things isn't as severe as it is back home.  Of course, nto all students, I know some great students who work very hard everyday and they are also very angry about the level of cheating in Chinese schools.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-24 23:22:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by indiefan at 2010-6-20 15:09
Timbatu, stop making assumptions about me.  You have NO CLUE what my Chinese language level is, or how well I know some of my students.   Is this the kind of reasoning they teach at your school?  A ...

indefan, your entire post has nothing to do with the topic. It is ENTIRELY a Western style personal attack on me. You have lost all credibility. It is the joke of the day to say religious worshipers are critical thinkers.

indefan, I do not understand why Westerners like you keep using different names. It is a childish foolish move. Plus, how come you removed your racist remark on Chinese immigration? Obviously, you, yourself is not a critical thinker. How can you find out others are critical thinkers if yourself lack the ability to think critically?

[ Last edited by timbatu at 2010-6-24 11:31 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-24 23:26:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by EthanYiSen at 2010-6-23 14:18
And Timbatu you are 100% wrong about the Cheating, Chinese students plagarize Huge amounts of their work and do cheat a lot more because the punishment for these things isn't as severe as it is back home.  Of course, nto all students, I know some great students who work very hard everyday and they are also very angry about the level of cheating in Chinese schools.

In the US colleges, chairs and faculties fear lawsuits from students and parents. All cases of clear cheatings go unreported or unpunished. This is the reality of the US colleges.

In China, college professors were not evaluated by students, so they had more freedom when they saw students cheating.

The reality is, Chinese students cheat MUCH LESS!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-24 23:28:18 |Display all floors
[quote]Originally posted by timbatu at 2010-6-24 23:26

IThe reality is, Chinese students cheat MUCH LESS!/quote]

Errr....wrong. Have never seen a country where it is that easy to cheat...sending a friend to take exams instead of yourself, buy a degree.......andandand. TIC
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-25 19:55:43 |Display all floors
I asked a number of young Westerners: if each book costs 5 yuan, how much does it cost to buy 10 books?

All, except for 1, told me the cost was 15 yuan.

China MUST NOT use this dumb education system. How can blind religious worshipers be critical thinkers? How can party animals with no brain cell left capable of imagination? No they do not.

Without examination, without memorization, the Westerners are still blank sheets at the age of 20. On the other hand, they are masters of binge drinking, sex, teenage births, and very passionate Christians.

The Westerners who want to devastate Chinese education need to go home and terminate all Western schools, and replace them with Ghod and churches.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-25 23:09:30 |Display all floors

For indiefan - Memory Based?

Not sure I got all your points correct, indiefan. But it would be more fair to say that general education basically is composed of two parts: knolwedge, and creative use of knowledge.

Can a student build knowledge without using memory? Were you suggesting a historian doesn't have to memorize his own historical facts? Or a pharmacist doesn't have to memorize a great deal of medicine-related information? Or an eighth grader still doesn't  have to learn the multiplication table by heart?

Can a decent, effective education go without solid, memory-based knolwledge to begin with?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.