Crisis Looming for China K-12 Schools [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-15 11:05:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-15 14:07:56 |Display all floors
Jordan, are you an education major?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-16 00:14:39 |Display all floors
China could have more foreign exchange programs. Like South Korea, sending Chinese kids to harsh third world nations, as well as, EU and US ghettos. This makes them learn the social reality. Most Chinese kids are spoiled these days.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-16 11:07:38 |Display all floors
SS, I have an idea. Mandatory rule requires the kids to study in North Korea every other semester. While in North Korea, they must eat the same as North Korean kids.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-16 11:29:48 |Display all floors
Chinese education has major problems and most Chinese realize this.  You basically go to classes to prepare for tests.  You study for an important exam that basically determines your life, and forget all the information you learned after the exam is finished because you commit it to short term memory.  Much of what Chinese people learn is never remembered and knowledge is almost never applied in any practical way.  Plus, the widespread, rampant cheating and plagiarism undermines any serious research ambitions China might have.

You put American Universities down but guess how many American Universities are in the Top 100 in the world?  Go ahead, go figure that out!  Likewise, how many Chinese Universities are in the Top 100 in the world....TWO!  1/6th of the population in the world can only offer 2 top 100 universities and one of those is in Hong Kong!  So don't lecture anyone on American Education!

If anything, it is a benefit to Chinese children to get some Western ideas in their education.  Some of these UNI students I have taught over the semesters here in China are the least innovative, critical people I have ever met.  Skilled at short term memory and that is about it, as if they are merely robots spitting out information.

American UNI introduces the concepts of being CRITICAL, innovative/ creative, logical, learning to ask questions and challenge your teacher and being objective rather than subjective.

You are trying to tell us that American textbooks are watered down when many UNIs still hold courses on Mao theory and don't tell the truth about the history of many important regions in China.  Many Chinese UNIs still have many outdated courses they FORCE the students to take.  Maybe you saw some crummy American textbooks but I assure you there are some solid ones, very good ones.  Don't let your subjective experience allow you to make uncalled for generalizations.

[ Last edited by indiefan at 2010-6-16 11:44 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-16 11:37:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yasawakic at 2010-6-14 09:30
yo see young children learning to read "I ..go ..to....Macdonald...every day...every week..every monday..."

Unless you actually grew up in America and experienced this personally, please be quiet.  Many teachers take their jobs seriously and we don't need people like you saying garbage like this.  it is not true.

So I must say, No, I did not learn to read using Mcdonald as an example.  Just no. Jesus, sometimes people are so obsessed in keeping a certain image of America they will go to ridiculous lengths to create insane stories.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-16 11:53:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by indiefan at 2010-6-16 11:29
Chinese education has major problems and most Chinese realize this.  You basically go to classes to prepare for tests.  You study for an important exam that basically determines your life, and forg ...

indeifan, clearly you have no clue about Chinese education. Chinese education gets it RIGHT by having standard examinations. There is nothing wrong to prepare kids for exams and ask them to remember. It is a fact that the Chinese students master math A LOT BETTER than the US students. The Chinese students remember a lot more than their Western counter parts after the exams. It is ridiculous to claim cheating is rampant in China. It is your stereotype. This idea is rooted in pure Cold War propagandas. Chinese students cheat MUCH LESS than US students. The US could not produce even 10 per cents of engineers. There is a national crisis of failing math in the US.

The US students, everyone of them is under God. It is funny you think they are capable of critical thinking. Do you have a brain?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.