Views: 4146|Replies: 40

Asian Hate Crimes in New Zealand [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-6-4 10:13:17 |Display all floors
Three attackers acted like "crazed animals", bashing a Chinese student with beer bottles and yelling racial taunts during a home invasion in Christchurch early yesterday.

Police are investigating the attack on the 22-year-old Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology student after three white men with shaven heads and wearing masks forced their way into his Mandeville Street, Riccarton, flat at 5am.

The frightened victim, who wanted to be known as Leilolala, said that as a Buddhist, he felt the attack was his "bad luck".

"I think maybe I did something wrong. Maybe I killed an animal," he said.

He and his girlfriend moved into the flat on Saturday and had already been broken into twice before yesterday's assault.

He was in bed upstairs with his girlfriend when they heard a knock at the front door.

When he opened the door slightly, "they pushed it in really fast".

They pushed him into the lounge and started to punch him.

"They swore a lot. There was lots I couldn't understand. They said, 'F... off, you yellow Asian boy, this is white people's place' – lots of stuff like this," he said.

The men were acting "crazy" as they bashed him with beer bottles.

"They were crazy, like animals. I thought they were on drugs," he said.

"I practised kung-fu for four or five years. I was thinking, 'I can't control the situation'. I was trying to fight back, but they didn't feel any pain."

He suffered facial injuries but was able to fend off some of the blows and injured one of his attacker's arms before they fled after about 10 minutes.

"I think the other guys saw (their friend) could not move his arm, so they left," he said.

Leilolala, who is studying cooking, said he had lived in New Zealand for nearly five years and had not experienced a racist attack before.

"They hate me maybe because they think we are rich because we drive nice cars. But it's not because we are rich but because we think cars are quite cheap here. Maybe they think it's unfair for them," he said.

He said he still wanted to live in New Zealand despite the attack.

"My girlfriend is quite scared, but for me I am OK because I think these kind of people are very little in New Zealand."

Detective Sergeant Scott Anderson, of the Hornby police, said the attack appeared racially motivated as "race hate" comments were made during the attack and the attackers left without taking any property.

They were described as being aged between 17 and 23.

The director of the Peeto Multicultural Learning Centre, Patrick O'Connor, said the attack was "absolutely shocking" and the community needed to challenge and confront such behaviour.
Ad Feedback

"All decent people have got to be cohesive in resisting the ugliness of racism, especially the arbitrary and anonymous face of racism where cowardly thugs disguise themselves and outnumber innocent people," he said.

The Chinese community contributed a lot to Christchurch's economy and diversity, he said.

The Chinese contributed $500 million to the international student market in 2003-04 – an industry that would be affected by race-hate crimes, he said.

"Thugs have an effect of ruining our export education industry because incidents like this get reported in Chinese newspapers and suddenly this little island gets the undeserved reputation of racist thugs and we are not at all," he said.

Christchurch Chinese Students and Scholars' Association president Jerry Dai said he was disgusted at the attack.

"I am worried not only for Chinese students, but for all international students in Christchurch," he said.

"I will inform our members and other Chinese students to be aware of their safety. As a collective, we will not tolerate these kind of disgusting attacks."

http://www.stuff.co.nz//24050

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-4 10:45:57 |Display all floors
I wonder if this guy was Tibetan....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-4 17:53:21 |Display all floors
As long as you are not getting to close to a Chinese pre-school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-5 02:21:46 |Display all floors
Some Asians are so blind and naive.  Those white guys were calling him "yellow" and other slurs, yet he thought they did it because he was "driving a nice car".  OPEN YOUR EYES ASIANS!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-5 02:25:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wetac0s at 2010-6-5 02:21
Some Asians are so blind and naive.  Those white guys were calling him "yellow" and other slurs, yet he thought they did it because he was "driving a nice car".  OPEN YOUR EYES  ...

Since when I calling an Asian "yellow" an insult? Don`t you call us "whites" and Afro-Americans "blacks"?! So by your standard you insult us too.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-5 02:27:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-6-5 02:25

Since when I calling an Asian "yellow" an insult? Don`t you call us "whites" and Afro-Americans "blacks"?! So by your standard you insult us too.

So you deny this is a hate crime?  

How many Asian people need to get beaten for you to believe it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-5 02:28:40 |Display all floors
"They swore a lot. There was lots I couldn't understand. They said, 'F... off, you yellow Asian boy, this is white people's place' – lots of stuff like this," he said.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.