Author: ruotong

why get married?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-5-7 13:53:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Maoist87 at 2010-5-7 10:25

I really love your funny lines. It is very amusing to see that someone came up with these phases.

I would say that people get married because they want to not only escape loneliness but als ...

well-said. thanks for your opinion :)
marriage bounds so many factors together. Personal desires and  social norms might be the top two factors, Few people like to be isolated from the social circle. To live a so-called normal life is not an easy job ,either.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-7 14:48:45 |Display all floors
Kids are more balanced and stable born and raised inside a good marriage there's no doubt about it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-8 14:28:46 |Display all floors
"To live without feeling or exciting sympathy, to be fortunate without adding to the felicity of others, or afflicted without tasting the balm of pity, is a state more gloomy than solitude; it is not retreat, but exclusion from mankind. Marriage has many pains, but celibacy has no pleasures."
Samuel Johnson: Rasselas [Princess Nekayah]

On second marriages: "The triumph of hope over experience." Boswell: Life of Johnson

Whoever has created
     An abiding friendship,
     Or has won
     A true and loving wife,
     All who can call at least one soul theirs,
     Join in our song of praise;
     But any who cannot must creep tearfully
     Away from our circle.[Ode To Joy]

[ Whoever has had the great fortune
    To be a friend's friend,
    Whoever has won a devoted wife,
    Join in our jubilation!
    Indeed, whoever can call even one soul,
    His own on this earth!
    And whoever was never able to, must creep
    Tearfully away from this band!]

"Le mariage est comme une forteresse assiégée; ceux qui sont dehors veulent y entrer, et ceux qui   sont dedans veulent en sortir."
     (Marriage is like a beleaguered fortress: those who are outside want to get in, and those inside want to get out).
~Quitard: Études sur les Proverbes Français, p. 102.

It happens as with cages: the birds without despair to get in, and those within despair of getting out.
~Montaigne: U[/I]pon some Verses of Virgil, chap. v.[/I]

Is not marriage an open question, when it is alleged, from the beginning of the world, that such as are in the institution wish to get out, and such as are out wish to get in?
~Ralph Waldo Emerson: Representative Men: Montaigne.
when you speak of this -- and you will -- be kind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-21 08:38:02 |Display all floors
People get married because thay can get immediate care when they are ill.
I think that's one reason.

And when we die in the future, our family will handle the funeral affairs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-6-21 08:46:23 |Display all floors
Chinese writer  CH'IEN CHUNG-SHU's book  <Fortress Besieged > describes marriage

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-9 15:44:39 |Display all floors

why do we get married

It is impossible for us to love everyone. but we need to know how to love our own children. so God creat couple and let the world and love endure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-16 09:21:52 |Display all floors
I got married because I do believe she is the right person. The point is not why you do belive that. The point is you must have wisdom to believe in your choice.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.