Views: 4649|Replies: 30

Guangdong rescuers head home [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-4-19 10:18:08 |Display all floors
it's very good for the team to put their workers' life safety as the first privilege, rather than force them to save others in the risk of their own lives. medical staff specialized in altitude sickness said in TV reports that people who suffer from the sickness must relax much to avoid more severe results which can threaten their lives. those rescuers, however, didn't have time to have a rest, and they reached in Yushu from low-altitude areas directly, without the time to adopt the altitude environment.

i doubt in the past, these workers would be forced to stay there, even though they might do nothing to help victims because of the sickness. they wouldn't be asked, or were reluctant to leave, to show their determination to fight with the disaster. otherwise, they'll be considered as lamasters.

Fortunately, the current military authorities know what is humanism and let those suffered from altitude sickness head home immediately. They are still heroes in our hearts.

south china morning post

A 150-member rescue team from Guangdong was returning home because altitude sickness had hampered their ability to help, China News Service reported yesterday.

Many Guangdong rescue workers showed altitude sickness symptoms ranging from dizziness and shivering to pulmonary edema, the report said.

At a hotel in Xining , the Qinghai capital, some Guangdong firefighters also said that after the first 72 hours, they weren't left with too much of a role to play in the rescue effort. That was because relief workers with life detectors had to give way to heavy mining equipment, which was used to clear rubble where bodies had not been found.

A firefighting squadron leader from Guangzhou's Huangpu district said relief workers from low-altitude areas, such as Guangdong and Shandong , reported that altitude sickness was the biggest challenge.

He said although Guangdong's team had the best life detectors among all relief teams in Yushu and many experienced workers from the Sichuan quake in 2008, the harsh natural environment had affected their efficiency.

"We had to have a rest every 30 minutes. Everyone had severe headaches, while some were vomiting and shivering," he said.

One of his teammates, who had been involved in the rescue work two years ago in Sichuan, said another reason for the withdrawal was that the situation in Qinghai was far different from that in Sichuan.

The firefighter, who declined to give his name, said his team had stayed in Sichuan for 15 days but just three in Yushu.

"Many buildings in Sichuan were reinforced concrete structures, which gave survivors more living space," he said.

"But in Yushu, most buildings were just made of adobe or bricks, and people would be buried once the buildings collapsed. There was no chance of escape."

Although they all said they enjoyed the food in the Xining hotel, one firefighter, who did not want to be identified, said: "I couldn't get to sleep last night. It seems I slept better in my sleeping bag in Yushu."
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-19 10:49:51 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-19 11:06:54 |Display all floors
....  do you mean their spirits are with the victims?
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-19 11:25:38 |Display all floors

Reply #1 polaris1120's post

High Attitude CIVIL DEFENSE, and MILITARY unit must develop the CORRECT EQUIPMENT to deal with the situation!

Lack of knowledge is a serious impediment in the Chinese Economy!
At the height of almost 4,000 metres, (The roof of the world is 8,000 metres high) temperatures are LOW, every 1,000ft - temperature falls 2-3 deg. C. Air also thins as gravity pull is less......

If the proper CIVIL DEFENSE institutes had been set up in China, the Guangdong-Shangdong teams will be fitted with BREATHING APPARATUS, and some attitude sickness medicines, so that they can be EFFECTIVE for at least 1-3 weeks, enough before crisis is settled.

Probably our BUDDIES from Sichuan will fare better, as Sichuan is at a higher attitude!
The AIRLIFT units is best assembled in Sichuan!
Those guys are tough guys, can function in low and high attitude!

We do need HEAVY LIFT AIRCRAFT, with the needed range!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-19 11:27:18 |Display all floors

Reply #2 jordan_c_fan's post

It's a learning experience for the Guangdong-Shangdong teams!

Our coastal fellows are more suited for SEA BORNE expeditions.....

wow!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-19 12:22:50 |Display all floors

High Altitude business is a different BALL GAME!

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-19 15:06:23 |Display all floors
yeah, i agree with you.

i once thought that residents in brick houses have more chances to survive in an earthquake since the material isn't as harmful as concrete. but from the report i knew that brick houses don't have much space for people to escape or stay after falling down. by contrary, concret buildings provide more room for people to survive.

however, many tibetan residents' heads were hit by ceilings when houses fell down and they recovered their consciousness after a while. i suspect that if they're hit by concrete, thye won't wake up anymore.
I am a Beijing girl.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.