Author: expatter

Should Foreigners be Above the Law, and are Chinese Police Incompetent? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-4-11 23:30:42 |Display all floors

youknowwhat

QUOTE: "Rio Tinto 4's apparent inclination to take advantage of a seller's market by accepting garbage bags full of cash"

I love your avatar!

It makes me laugh so much when I see it.

Homer and Marge!

We should have a vote and your avatar would get the first prize.

So Cool!   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-18 16:50:42 |Display all floors
I think nobody (except for some politicians maybe) is above law in China - China is a developing country, but it's not that laid-back. The problem is just that often, the law is bended and streched too much. And often, foreigners have less rights than Chinese.
But that's not a chinese problem - in Europe and the United States it's all the same as you can see if you watch a trial against a foreign company...This also doesn't surprise me, as China basically uses the European law system (and therefore also has to deal with the same weaknesses as Europe).
However, it'd be good if China could establish a more stable judical system to make sure that everyone is the same under the law.

However, in my personal opinion, no nation should execute foreign nationals. That causes unpleasant political preassure and doesn't help anything. Foreign criminals should either be locked up in jails or deported to their homelands.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-5-2 18:21:31 |Display all floors

Everynowhere

QUOTE: "However, in my personal opinion, no nation should execute foreign nationals. That causes unpleasant political preassure and doesn't help anything. Foreign criminals should either be locked up in jails or deported to their homelands."

If you did that then there would be a queue of foreigners into China with drugs knowing the penalty was very light and the risk worth while.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-4 00:43:50 |Display all floors

QUOTE: I deem your 'clarification' to be an added insult to the injury previously administered.

My apologies if you feel I have insulted you. Perish the thought.

I will again refer back to the contention of the issue.

QUOTE:   I have quoted a sentence from emu, QUOTE: "and sentence a few employees of a foreign company who succumbed to the bribes of corrupt Chinese officials"

I can only believe here that emu was talking about foreigners in China and not indigenous people, by foreign employees.

If my memory serves me correct the majority of foreigners in China are white, and C of E or possibly Catholic when they fill out their forms.

Maybe a bit of blanket cover from emu, when he referred to these people as foreign employees.

But, permit me if I may.

If they are foreigners then in the main they live in a democracy.  Hence the idea democratic.

Even though they may live in a democracy as an overseas-born ethnic Chinese, African, N Korean, Cuban, Sudanese and are foreigners, they are not a majority as regards the idea of 'foreigners' in China.

If I had to make a guess I would say the majority of foreigners in China are white Americans, Europeans, Australians, Canadians, Kiwis and South Africans.

Therefore one can assume from a democratic country with a base religion of Christianity.

Yes, emu did use a rather large blanket term with the use of 'foreign employees'.

Do you think that this was supposed to be an 'us and them' scenario?

And anyone from anywhere, who is not Chinese is susceptible to corruption by the Chinese on arrival.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-5-4 22:56:38 |Display all floors

Yes, they are quite ..ahem.. novel in their approach to where they are going.

I would still rather see such as industrious and innovative people's succeeding through their own efforts, whatever those be, than those of other countries (PC forbids mention), who are just completely lazy and ignorant.

Incidentally, for those latterly mentioned , I feel the West has much to answer for this lack of education, but that is another story.

And of course is cheating the same as corruption or graft?

And you are right, it is the individual who is exposed who has to judge whether there is a difference between right and wrong.

I personally dispute the idea that just by rubbing up against a Chinese one could become corrupted.

For the Brits it was a sheer novelty!      

I can imagine.      

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.