Author: expatter

Should Foreigners be Above the Law, and are Chinese Police Incompetent? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-31 18:07:08 |Display all floors
Why do you equal christian and democrat? Democracy is a secular invention!!! Many westerners are greedy, selfish bastards, so goes without saying whites can be corrupt too. Europe used to corrupt as hell, and probably still more corrupt than we realize. Still westerners tend to be much more corrupt far away from european regulations and transparancies. Btw it's not just westerners who claim chinese police are corrupt. I've never had to deal with chinese police so I wouldn't know... I guess it's covenient for a westerner of certain stature to blaim the police. I think it's wise not to automatically believe it, but equally wise to consider it! It's not even likely an either/or answer!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-31 18:11:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2010-3-31 17:33
Do foreigners succumb to fraud and corruption on meeting Chinese?

Or is this a myth spread by someone who is a bigot?

It is a "Tradition" in some countries, including China.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-31 18:22:26 |Display all floors

safaribehn

Interesting thought, western, Christian, democrat.

Why did I write that?

Hmmmmmh!  Western person who is not a Christian but when asked denomination ticks CoE, or Catholic out of habit.

Or even though not a practising Christian believes in the tenets of that religion, as opposed to those of say Islam.

To the original question you believe that all people are equally corruptible.

Therefore you do not get corrupt just by knowing a Chinese person.

Cheers for that.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-31 18:26:21 |Display all floors

rockmybaby

You also believe that it depends on the person and doesn't necessarily involve a Chinese business guy to be present.

So this original sentence wouldn't make any sense then:
...............................to sentence a few employees of a foreign company who succumbed to the bribes of corrupt Chinese officials

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-3 01:13:41 |Display all floors

Well............!

I wish it were that simple.

I have quoted a sentence from emu, QUOTE: "and sentence a few employees of a foreign company who succumbed to the bribes of corrupt Chinese officials"

What I find curious in the statement is that it implies that 'foreign employees are innocent people and only corruptible by contact with 'corrupt Chinese officials'.

Again you presuppose my meaning by making a conclusion based on one sentence. You should therefore ask the writer of that sentence what his point was. In addition whether it implies a bigotry on his part that he does not apply to the rest of the world.

Again some of your other points would be better clarified by the writer as that is not my original question.

Finally you generalize and loose sight of the original. If you wish to make these wide sweeping and generalized claims they must be compared against previous regimes say the KMT, and of course other countries.

Otherwise you show no less bigotry than the writer of the phrase in question.

Also you would need to correlate this information and show its relevance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-11 20:46:00 |Display all floors

succumb to bribes

More than bribery: Wealth, power and Rio Tinto
Asia Times

These revelations disrupted the accepted international framing for the case: that corrupt and vindictive Chinese bureaucrats were persecuting Western businessmen for financial gain.

Nevertheless, the press did its best to redefine bribery and corruption, even when practiced by Western multinationals, as something uniquely non-Western.

In discussing the case after the confessions were revealed, The Wall Street Journal focussed on the defendants as "people ... who were brought up in China or are citizens of China, who understand the cultural complexity of the system".

In an article entitled "Rio four plead for mercy after being stung by system",The Australian attempted to restore the mantle of innocent victimhood to the four defendants by arguing that the true problem was the Chinese attempt to negotiate collectively, and not the Rio Tinto 4's apparent inclination to take advantage of a seller's market by accepting garbage bags full of cash.

It is unlikely, however, that Chinese official or public opinion will regard the activities of mills attempting to secure the economic fortunes of their enterprises by giving bribes as harshly as they will judge the Rio Tinto salesmen who exploited that anxiety for their personal profit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-11 21:08:10 |Display all floors

that's right rio tinto briberies costin billions...

those 5 executives should be behind bars 4ever for costin china's initial biddin even more than it should have had  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.