Views: 2223|Replies: 8

High Speed rail connecting China to Europe? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-14 03:30:21 |Display all floors
Although the writer is biased, I have to agree this is a bad idea.  I don't think China should be wasting money on such a huge construction project when there are so many other problems that need to be dealt with, like poverty and education.  

It might seem like a pipe dream if it weren’t for the fact that China is already about halfway through the construction of the largest high-speed rail (HSR) network in the world with the fastest trains in the world.

With its internal projects getting closer to completion, China’s new goal is to continue on with a HSR revolution internationally in order to create two-day HSR trip times between Beijing and London (which itself might get some pretty fast trains soon)!

But it is about much more than a rail connection or two to Europe.

The news of China’s plans were announced in the South China Morning Post this week. The international network is supposed to include a total of 17 countries.

As mapped, this is likely to be the largest infrastructure project in history.

It would also extend south to Singapore and northeast into Mongolia and Russia.

Its main connection to Europe would likely go through India, Pakistan and the Middle East. Although, exact routes are not yet determined.

Plans Moving Forward

Reportedly, negotiations with the relevant 17 countries are already underway.

China would like to fund the whole project itself in exchange for natural resources it lacks. One of the senior consultants working on the project, Wang Mengshu, said, “We would actually prefer the other countries to pay in natural resources rather than make their own capital investment.”

Myanmar and Russia already have rail links planned and China is also in communication with Iran, Pakistan and India regarding development of the internal rail lines in each of those countries that would connect to the network.

Additionally, construction for the Southeast Asia link has started and Burma is about to begin building its portion of the link.

The central and eastern European portions of the network are moving forward as well. “We have also already carried out the prospecting and survey work for the European network, and central and eastern European countries are keen for us to start,” Wang said.

China wants to complete this network in 10 years.
Who Benefits?

Clearly, China is intent on this for its own benefit. In exchange for developing the system, it could acquire tons of much needed natural resources from other countries, as stated above. However, perhaps more importantly, creating such a network would probably solidify China’s central role in the Asian economy and perhaps even the world economy.

Nonetheless, China says that other countries approached it for help and that is how the idea got started. “It was not China that pushed the idea to start with,” said Wang. “It was the other countries that came to us, especially India. These countries cannot fully implement the construction of a high-speed rail network and they hoped to draw on our experience and technology.”

So, presumably, all the countries connected to the network would benefit from better transportation options and increased mobility. However, with China at the center of the process, it is likely to be the biggest winner.

The countries perhaps losing out due to the system’s development and investment would be those across the ocean who are more reliant on international air travel.

Is China going to make the US’ HSR network (if it ever gets built) look like a toy train set? Is this huge system ever going to get built? Is it going to get built in 10 years as China hopes?

With transportation being a central factor influencing economies and power since at least as long back as large-scale transportation options were formed, the answers to these questions are going to be intrinsically tied to the balance of power in the world economy and global society.
http://cleantechnica.com/2010/03 ... project-in-history/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-14 13:43:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wetac0s at 2010-3-13 11:30 AM
Although the writer is biased, I have to agree this is a bad idea.  I don't think China should be wasting money on such a huge construction project when there are so many other problems that need t ...

china, korea and japan should be connected first.

and i recommend build a fence around any nation who still worship barbarism, rather than build a expressway to link them.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-14 15:16:35 |Display all floors

Reply #2 joeching's post

Agreed.  Make a railway connecting Asia first to help bring much needed infrastructure and jobs in the eastern economy, then maybe consider other options.  China still has a long ways to go before she becomes a superpower.  Building such a large train system is moving too fast.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-14 18:30:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by joeching at 2010-3-14 13:43

china, korea and japan should be connected first.

and i recommend build a fence around any nation who still worship barbarism, rather than build a expressway to link them.

You want to build a fence arround China?!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-14 18:40:18 |Display all floors
The French had the Maginot line.

But the Germans waltzed around it  

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2010-3-14 19:04:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wetac0s at 2010-3-14 03:30
Although the writer is biased, I have to agree this is a bad idea.  I don't think China should be wasting money on such a huge construction project when there are so many other problems that need t ...

It takes 12/13 hours by plane at approx 500 mls per hour>

If I left London by train to China how long would that take I dont beleive 2 days thats for sure
haha I think I will fly

Zai Jian

Chao Ren

[ Last edited by 1584austin at 2010-3-14 07:20 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-15 06:51:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Alex2010 at 2010-3-14 02:30 AM

You want to build a fence arround China?!

no, i want china to move beyond the fence she already have -- the greatwall.

but i do want to recommend a fence around the barbarians to prevent them from charging out with weapons too often.
ASIA UNIFICATION

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.