Author: expatter

Is Democracy Holding India Back? [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-3-9 14:11:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2010-3-8 20:55

But India started twenty years later than China on its reformist road.

This statement is nonsense and you know it. Next you tell us India started last year.

1. I guess democracy will remain untouched; poverty will be more palpable.But the country's rail network and highways will be much improved.
Copy code

That's an interesting statement coming from you. Rail development is, according to your view in another thread, bad for China but good for India. Could you at least try to be consistent with your biased opinion?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-9 14:46:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2010-3-9 11:41 AM

But India started twenty years later than China on its reformist road.

This statement is nonsense and you know it. Next you tell us India started last year.

[code]I guess democ ...

Mr.Satsu, it was 20 years. How much is the difference between 1978 and 1998.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-9 18:11:30 |Display all floors

Good Post

I see this as a good post as an Indian here are my observations,

1) Democracy is a like a bullock cart and that too with a massive population like India it can be a burden and remember that India has different races and identities so bringing them all together is a mammoth task.
2) India is a like a garland of different flowers. Its called unity in diversity.
3) when we were in college there were open debates about what is the best forms of governance including some even supporting dictatoriship. Many of you may not eb aware that some of the Indian states especially Kerala and Westbengal have communist governments through democartic forms.
4) Democracy brings in sustained changes though it may be slow because it needs to appease everyone.
5) The earlier India governments moved from Primary to teritiary industry without focusing much on secondary industry . this was different from the route many other countries followed hence there was a gap in terms of sustained growth and employment.
6) Withe the current GDP rate, its already established soft power amongst others India would soon be there.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-3-9 19:01:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by manoj10 at 2010-3-9 15:46

Mr.Satsu, it was 20 years. How much is the difference between 1978 and 1998.

Mathematically you're correct this time but.....

India started as early as 1989/1990 - after collapse of communism in Europe and the disappearance of the former USSR. This was the time when Manmohan Singh became Minister of Finance, wasn't it?

China discussed reforms since late 1978 but implemented it only in the early eightieth (81/82) and initially with a real slow pace.

Looking at it from a realistic point of view India started eight, max. 10 years after China and not as claimed here 20 years later.

That's my point and I know we disagree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-9 21:40:18 |Display all floors

A more relevant comparison

Students from 103 of the world’s top universities gathered last month in Harbin, China to compete in the Battle of the Brains, which is hosted by the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM-ICPC) and sponsored by IBM.

Teams of three students worked together with a single computer to tackle 11 real-world problems, such as creating software systems to do things such as breaking password codes. The contest was to solve as many problems as possible in five hours. The contest has been described as cramming a whole semester’s work into one day.

Who won this year’s Battle of the Brains? Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

This is the third victory for a Chinese college following wins in 2002 and 2005.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-9 21:42:14 |Display all floors
China's new high-speed trains are all made in China.

Does India have any?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-9 21:43:18 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.