Views: 3198|Replies: 0

Fame, Flame and Lame [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-4 19:21:54 |Display all floors
Words are funny.  You just have to have the insight and wit to pick these funny stuff up yourself.  This thought spark was ignited when I was taking my dinner just now.   I was listening to the New York radio station and the broadcaster was talking about a male public official being disgraced in America for sexually involving a male assistant in his office.

People become famous and that is like a FLAME making them shine and their life brightened up.  Whilst with fame, they can make a big splash in the society and people know about them.  This happens to artists (singers and actors), writers, politicians, business leaders, etc.

However, that flame is FIRE.  We all know flame can lighten up so we can remove darkness.  Yet at the same time, that flame is fire and so it can burn up whatever.

We have seen too many who become LAME after earning that fame.

As a corrupt official shot to fame from a clean and humble background, he could not resist the temptation that the name, power and money could easily fetch him.  People adored him because he was well known and had the power and authority to make things happen.  For expediency, greedy people around him would offer him money, valuables and women (and even men depending on your gender and your sexual preference) to corrupt him.

Note:-  This is not an organized writing.  It is done to show English learners that you do need some words in the same family to describe something.  

I am simply playing with ideas and words.  But, no big words.   I hate big words.  I make things simple.  However, you can only do it simple after you have stupidly gone through a stage when you struggle with big words in senior high or college.   

I started writing simple induced by a very concise and simple letter from the hand of my British general manager one day.  I was 21 and was retained as a chief accountant for a German-owned magazine for circulation to US military personnel in Asia.  

I never plan my writings and don't bother re-organizing them as I am not writing for a Nobel prize nor any writing competition.   As I said, I write for demonstration purpose with my target audience in English learners.  Practice makes perfect.  

I have become resourceful when it comes to talking or writing due to my much longer life experience and my international business career background.  

As a young boy, I was addicted to English language for the same economic drive that you folks have now here in China.  I knew as a young boy (age 12 and a Primary 6 student) of the importance of English language because I was growing up in the then British colony of Hong Kong).  I only spent a year working hard for it.  After one year, I was able to read college level textbooks and what not, devouring (scanning quickly) at least 9 to 10 books every two weeks (as I borrowed 3-4 books each for 2 weeks from 3 different libraries at a time when personal computers and internet connection were unheard of i.e. 1964.)

There is no reason why you cannot do the same thing that I am now able to do.  You can find me on QQ 86139933 should you like to talk to me.

[ Last edited by cyberparrot at 2010-3-5 01:52 AM ]
http://86139933.qzone.qq.com

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.