Author: expatter

Amusing or funny recollections of China - No whingers please! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-1-19 04:35:12 |Display all floors

Expatter

just kidding

nice story :)

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-1-19 14:38:46 |Display all floors

LongDDxU

No amusing anecdote then Mr Banana.

You must have slipped up at least once in your life?

No.  Don't be shy.   

I am sure you tell us a cracker.  

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-1-19 21:53:42 |Display all floors

O.K No takers for this section

I will lay in another strangely funny anecdotal moment.  I must ask my Chinese hosts to understand there would be many things that might be strange initially to them in a foreign country and I crave indulgence on this one.

I come from the UK and our food is considered to be very ordinary and bland.  Therefore we are just not used to the vast array of amazing dishes in China.

Many years ago I was in a small town outside of Tianjin and a colleague from the UK came over on his first trip.

One evening we were walking down the road to a restaurant with our Chinese colleagues and friends. My UK colleague commented on the abandoned rubbish along the footpath and I said the he should also note the lack of dog droppings. The UK is littered with them on every street.

He said no more about that.

In the restaurant we sat at the table for a hot pot meal and were each presented with a 4 inch bowl of light brown diarrhea coloured sauce with a slightly darker coloured turd shaped lump stuck in it.

He looked at me and said, “I can see why there are no dog droppings outside. They are on the table in the bowls!”

I know I shouldn’t have but together with him I cracked up until I had tears running down my face and couldn’t look at him for the rest of the meal.

In the UK the only brown coloured sauce you normally see is in a slim bottle and so the Chinese method for this was a new situation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-20 12:39:28 |Display all floors

Right off the top of my head....

Originally posted by wiseoldlady at 2010-1-19 02:38
Nice story!

What do the pinyin words mean?

I think of the english names the kids give themselves; sunshine, apple, lion etc.

I had one kid who called himself 'vampire'. I tried to explain that 'vampire wasn't really an englsh name. He would have none of it and was adamant. So he was 'vampire' in the roster.

The next term I had him again in a higher class. I noticed him as I was going through the roll call. I stopped and said, "Vampire!"
Blank stare.
"Vampire!" I said again.
Still a blank stare.
I called him a third time.
This time, like all Chinese kids, he pointed his finger at his nose, "Wo?"
"Yes," I nodded. "Vampire..."
"No," he shook his head. "Today I am Harry Potter..."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-20 12:49:38 |Display all floors

Ganzhoulin

Thanks for that. Cool.

I met a Chinese guy once who had a very unusual English name.

When I asked him why he said, "my Chinese name is Wang He" and I wanted something that sounded the same.

I am sure you can think of the name he had chosen.

For those who have difficulty with this, think of a word to describe someone who indulges in DIY sex.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-20 12:54:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2010-1-19 21:53
He looked at me and said, “I can see why there are no dog droppings outside. They are on the table in the bowls!” ...

He enjoyed the ma jiang sauce then?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-20 14:36:56 |Display all floors
He certainly did.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.