Views: 5583|Replies: 13

A v a a z . o r g [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-1-17 11:24:13 |Display all floors
About Us

A v a a z . o r g  is a community of global citizens who take action on the major issues facing the world today.

The aim of   A v a a z . o r g   is to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decisions.

A v a a z . o r g  members act for a more just and peaceful world and a globalisation with a human face.

Read more here:

h ttp://w ww.avaaz.o rg/en/about.p hp

This is a grass root organization with a growing number of supporters, by now 14 million had signed up.

I did, too.

This internet movement is blocked by Chinese censors. You can access it with some patience using firefox browser with the "tor" proxy.

[ Last edited by pervera at 2010-1-17 11:27 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-17 11:29:37 |Display all floors

Interesting.....

Hi folks – I’m the Executive Director at Avaaz.org. Our mission is to serve our members, and we know our members like their information to be absolutely private and safe, so we take data security *extremely* seriously. I wanted to write to give you a sense of what happened in this case and what we’re doing about it.

99.99% of our subscribers’ data is completely safe, and has never been compromised. However — thanks to messages from a few folks like you — we were able to discover a small crack in our security that had allowed a hacker using a packet sniffer to detect email addresses containing the word “avaaz.” This resulted in spam messages being sent mainly to our staff–and to members who had signed our petitions with special email addresses with “avaaz” in the usernames.

After correcting the error and conducting an internal security review, we hired a leading firm to do a comprehensive, formal penetration test of our site. They found our security very tight, and suggested a number of minor tweaks–all of which we implemented immediately.

We have plans in place to run new penetration tests regularly. One area where we clearly need to improve, however, is in writing back more quickly to folks who were affected by the security issue, to make sure they know how we’ve followed up. We do read and answer virtually every email we get at Avaaz, so we’re also trying to understand how yours fell through the cracks.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer, or if you have any further advice for us on this. Needless to say, we are absolutely not an email harvesting outfit, and we’re as distressed as everyone else at how spammers are steadily dimming the promise of the internet to be a powerful tool for democratic change. I”m sorry you had this bad experience, and I hope it won’t keep you from being active members in our community in the future.

Thanks and best to you,

Ricken Patel
Co-Founder and Executive Director
Avaaz.org

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-17 11:31:37 |Display all floors

just read this......

you'll feel very relieved about them.....

ht tp: //verbo. se/d ont-sign-av aazo rg-petitions

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-17 11:42:38 |Display all floors
Quote from that site:
"Not if you value your email address, that is. I've signed quite a few of them on prompting from Sista, but recently I've started received spam on the unique email address I set up to subscribe. I reported it to Avaaz and received an assurance that they don't sell or share their list, but that they've received reports and are investigating. I asked them to follow up, they didn't. Obviously their security has been breached."

Sounds very familiar to me.

The e-mail addresses of googlemail had been breached by Chinese hackers.

This organization has been blocked in China because of its human rights agenda. Certain people surely have an interest to hack into that organization.

Thank you longzhou for you precious hint, but it even hardens my resolve that something has to be done in this world.

I'll stay as a new member !!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-17 11:47:30 |Display all floors
And I hereby invite others - also Chinese - to participate in this cause.

As I said the site is blocked, but can be reached as I have explained above.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-17 11:50:06 |Display all floors

#4 by the way Rudi....

the question were raised in 2007, still pending an answer from the administrators of that organization and also they have NEVER in their life time presented an audit on their expenses and how the money raised is used!

But of course, Rudi, being a church believer with all its lies and crimes, these type of organizations "fit your foot perfectly!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-17 12:02:41 |Display all floors
China's Dangerous Domains

A report by antivirus software firm McAfee looked into the s ecurity risks associated with top-level Internet domains (such as .c om, .g ov and .u k) and found that the two riskiest are .h k and .c n, for Hong Kong and China, respectively.

The study used McAfee's proprietary software to examine 9.9 million Web sites under the 265 country and generic (non-country-specific) domains for signs of "malware" (such as spyware, viruses, Trojans, spam and excessive pop-up ads) or links to other suspicious Web sites. This year's list ranked the 74 most heavily-trafficked top-level domains based on the frequency of potentially dangerous Web sites (containing malware or suspicious links) in each domain.

McAfee's results noted that 19.2% of all the .h k sites it had tested were flagged as "dangerous or potentially dangerous to visitors." In China's .c n domain, 11.8% of the sites tested were flagged. The third-ranking domain was the generic .i nfo, with 11.7% of its sites identified as risky. By comparison, about 5% of sites in the popular .
c om domain presented s ecurity risks, according to McAfee.

The Chinese domains weren't always so dangerous-according to last year's report, only 1.2% of .h k sites and 3.7% of .c n sites were flagged. One McAfee researcher mentioned two factors contributing to the increases: improved data collection and apparent security lapses in how some domain registrar companies work. Other likely causes: Hong Kong's "user-friendly" domain registration system (which encourages the registration of multiple domain names at once) and China's low registration costs (about 15 cents wholesale per domain name), the report says. But McAfee also notes that since individual domain names may be owned by persons from anywhere in the world, their data "should not be used to infer riskiness of nationality."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.