Author: duanyihong

Is it necessary to learn Chinese in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-1-13 13:47:46 |Display all floors

Reply #13 learner1's post

how else can you expect to survive if you want to live in china? sure if you just want a small holiday, employ a translator. but if you expect everyone to speak your language instead because you cant speak chinese, that's the wrong mentality to have and needs to be changed because its self centred

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-13 13:51:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zeoblade2 at 2010-1-13 13:45
that's right, learn the language or don't bother coming

That's a little strange.

Most younger people come here to learn the language. Not the other way around.

i thought you would encourage people to visit China, learn about the culture (ahem....though adopt only what you say they can adopt) and study the language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-13 13:58:46 |Display all floors

Reply #16 zhiran's post

then if they come to learn the language then that satisfies my point, doesnt it? its pretty obvious

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-13 14:10:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zeoblade2 at 2010-1-13 13:58
then if they come to learn the language then that satisfies my point, doesnt it? its pretty obvious

Many of the people that come to China do so for a year or perhaps more to do business. They may be visitors with no long term plan to stay here. Why insist that they learn a difficult language if they have no long term us for it?

Learn our language or don't come here? The only attitude I have witnessed similar to that is the French and they don't get a good reputation for their cultural friendliness in Europe.

You do realize that the first couple of generations of Chinese in the USA (and Russians, Italians, Poles etc.) never did learn English. this is why in NY you have enclaves named Little Italy, Little Warsaw etc. where families lived together practiced their own cultures, spoke their own languages etc. Areas that still exist today. It was not unusual to find the first wave of immigrants never learned much of the English language because they could live in their community without ever having to use English. Their descendants, of course, are a different story and indeed many of today's overseas Chinese are descended from people such as this.

Why would you choose to put such restraints on people coming to China?
Hardly the act of a gracious, warm & welcoming host.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-13 14:13:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zeoblade2 at 2010-1-13 13:47
but if you expect everyone to speak your language instead because you cant speak chinese, that's the wrong mentality to have and needs to be changed because its self centred.

While I was writing, you were posting.

I see your point now - but that is quite an assumption.

You seem to be under the misconception that most foreigners come here EXPECTING everyone/most people to speak their language (I guess you mean English here). That's quite an assumption and generalization. Where did you get this view?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-13 14:20:14 |Display all floors

What a load of nonesense....

Originally posted by zhiran at 2010-1-13 14:10

Many of the people that come to China do so for a year or perhaps more to do business. They may be visitors with no long term plan to stay here. Why insist that they learn a difficult language  ...

how long have you stayed in China? How many foreigners do you know that after 5 or 6 years here still need to show  their residential name card to get back home in a taxi?

I have been here over a  decade now and I am still suprised when in some business get togethers the amount of those that come back with sentences like "why should I learn Chinese? I don't need it for my daily job and life since everyone around me speaks English!"

I know a bunch of those; even some very famous CEOs and Directors of Top 500 listed companies!

Learning the local language is certainly no obligation for any expat, and shouldn't be in fact; it should be a will from thsoe who go abroad to be able to fully integrate in the society they chose to live!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-13 14:44:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by longzhou at 2010-1-13 14:20

how long have you stayed in China? How many foreigners do you know that after 5 or 6 years here still need to show  their residential name card to get back home in a taxi?

I have been here o ...

Oh dear, it's the old 'I've been in China longer than you have so I know better routine...'

You say a decade?  You will have to tell me how many months. We may be neck and neck. Not that it really matters anyway. Sad attitude really. How long is not so important, but the quality of the experience and what you have learned that matters.

I was responding to a post which stated, if you don't learn the language, don't come here. I think this is a rather myopic point of view. And doesn't take into account all the various reasons why people visit China. There are good reasons for learning the language and good reasons (not excuses) for not learning the language. i don't think a blanket statement "Don't come" is fair or valid.

Tell me, the people you know who have been here 5 or 6 years and speak no English...what % of all visitors to China do you think these people have been over the last say 5 or 6 years. For it is upon this rather small sample from which you are basing your reasoning.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.