Author: expatter

The Power Elite [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-1-8 14:43:26 |Display all floors

zhiran

Any facts are only as good as their source.

The better cited and qualified then the more believable they become.

Mrs Thatcher to the Commons:  "There were no incidents of telephone vandalism in London in the 1700's".

Spitting Image.   

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-1-10 11:19:12 |Display all floors

seneca

In any country the urban poor envy the urbanites, irrespective of which government is in power.

That is a human trait rather than political.

China has done far better than India, because of transportation infrastructure and this has been a key development in China.

In this forum we always welcome a shift in policies to a more enlightened system.

I would have thought the free schooling for the masses over the last couple of years was a massive leap forward in real terms.

Government incentives and discount programs to rural areas to keep the economy moving.

Government incentives in technology to produce better crops in agriculture and aquaculture.

Massive building and construction works brought forward to ensure employment for workers.

It is all too easy to be dismissive sat in your ivory tower insulated from the massive country of China.

As for the rest of it, if you want a free market economy that is the price you pay.

You cannot in any system please all and have all.

Of course they could also bring back the communes.

You know how successful they were.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-10 12:16:04 |Display all floors

Seneca...

Originally posted by seneca at 1/9/2010 07:00 AM
Expatter, asking anyone to trust polls held by  Chinese media is a little like teasing one's brain, isn't it?

... that is the same for EVERY poll - from the ones wel run here to the Zogby organization.  The percentages always look empressive - but when you ask to see the raw data, the pollsters usually either fake a heart attack or just break down to say they talked to only .0001% of the actual population really in play with the poll.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-10 12:18:42 |Display all floors

Expatter...

... nice arguement and all, but a thesis from 30+ years ago as the basis of your "elite" theory?  Nice try, but not quite... especially with the last few electon cycles - on a logal, state, and national level.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-10 12:26:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zhiran at 2010-1-8 14:36
Liuyedao clearly doesn't. He quotes these surveys as often as he can. No surprise!  ...

I know your fixed feeling and distrust toward Chinese media, so I seldom quote Chinese media in "discussing" with you.

Please prove that I've ever quoted the "97% satisfaction" Xinhua survey when dealing with you.

I don't remember I ever did that.

The last satisfaction survey I quoted was for emucc, the source was PEW.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-10 15:08:47 |Display all floors

tradervic

............and?

"but a thesis from 30+ years ago as the basis of your "elite" theory?"

Are you leading me to believe that the whole research industry should jump into a state of panic?

Theories, just as eggs have a 'use by date', and after that date therefore just like the eggs of little worth.

Honestly, "Nice try, but not quite..."

The leading contributors to the theory were Gaetano Mosca, Vilfredo Pareto, and Robert Michels and modern exponents of the theory are Thomas R. Dye and Harmon Zeigler in the book "The Irony of Democracy.

They posit that the original theory is sound but have added a couple of new categories to the elites namely those of the judicial and media elite.

Hardly out of date, and actually modern and relevant.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-1-10 15:14:41 |Display all floors

tradervic

"especially with the last few electon cycles - on a logal, state, and national level."

Whilst I am not sure what electon and logal are, I will assume they are associated with elections.

Again, the Elite Theory sees this as the contest between A and B.

It does not matter who the winner is as it still serves the model and democracy is seen to exist.

Dye and Zeigler's arguments concerning the power of the elites is more or less a modern rendering of the same arguments advanced by C. Wright Mills.  The masses are ignorant, ill-informed, and apathetic. The elites, but virtue of their influential positions in finance, politics, media, or the judiciary, are able to easily manipulate and coerce the masses. The authors concede a certain degree of upward mobility, but it is slow, generational process. Those eventually making it into the elite sphere become a fully assimilated part of it, instead of bringing in outside influences.

[ Last edited by expatter at 2010-1-10 03:16 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.