Views: 1312|Replies: 1

Blackwater Guards Tied to Secret Raids by the C.I.A. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-12-11 11:21:11 |Display all floors
WASHINGTON — Private security guards from Blackwater Worldwide participated in some of the C.I.A.’s most sensitive activities — clandestine raids with agency officers against people suspected of being insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan and the transporting of detainees, according to former company employees and intelligence officials.

The raids against suspects occurred on an almost nightly basis during the height of the Iraqi insurgency from 2004 to 2006, with Blackwater personnel playing central roles in what company insiders called “snatch and grab” operations, the former employees and current and former intelligence officers said.

Several former Blackwater guards said that their involvement in the operations became so routine that the lines supposedly dividing the Central Intelligence Agency, the military and Blackwater became blurred. Instead of simply providing security for C.I.A. officers, they say, Blackwater personnel at times became partners in missions to capture or kill militants in Iraq and Afghanistan, a practice that raises questions about the use of guns for hire on the battlefield.

Separately, former Blackwater employees said they helped provide security on some C.I.A. flights transporting detainees in the years after the 2001 terror attacks in the United States.

The secret missions illuminate a far deeper relationship between the spy agency and the private security company than government officials had acknowledged. Blackwater’s partnership with the C.I.A. has been enormously profitable for the North Carolina-based company, and became even closer after several top agency officials joined Blackwater.

“It became a very brotherly relationship,” said one former top C.I.A. officer. “There was a feeling that Blackwater eventually became an extension of the agency.”

George Little, a C.I.A. spokesman, would not comment on Blackwater’s ties to the agency. But he said the C.I.A. employs contractors to “enhance the skills of our own work force, just as American law permits.”

“Contractors give you flexibility in shaping and managing your talent mix — especially in the short term — but the accountability’s still yours,” he said

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-12-11 14:18:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tamson at 2009-12-11 11:21
George Little, a C.I.A. spokesman, would not comment on Blackwater’s ties to the agency. But he said the C.I.A. employs contractors to “enhance the skills of our own work force, just as American law permits.”

Actually, mercenaries are illegal under international law and also US law. Blackwater under any name, and similar companies are in the business of leasing large groups of hard core warriors to participate in war-zone activities primarily involving involving the discharging of their weapons. You can change the name all you want, but a mercenary is a mercenary, and mercenaries are not permitted by US law. However, when you have an impressive collection of the scariest Washington insiders on the payroll the law has no power.

Putting Washington power-brokers on the payroll is simply bribery.

Contractors give you flexibility in shaping and managing your talent mix — especially in the short term — but the accountability’s still yours

Did he say accountability? Since when is the CIA or even the DOD accountable for anything? The news today is the DOD refused a court order to give the public a partial view of trial proceedings. Even an upstanding organization like the DOD can scoff at the law and let us continue to wonder about what's going on. So what CIA official should ever speak the word "accountability". We have no idea who they are killing, who they are torturing, or where they are doing these dark deeds. There is absolutely zero accountability.

Now that they are using tax-payer money to enrich the explosively profitable mercenary groups we've got fighting all over Iraq, Afghganistan no one should ever suggest there is accountability. Who is accountable for the torture in our secret prisons hidden outside of our country's borders? When our unmanned drones open fire on a family and their goats, who is responsible? I'll give you a hint: no one.

Our cowboys are way way WAY above the law.

Anacharsis said that "laws are like the spider's web, they can catch the small and the weak, but they have no power to restrain the powerful". This fact is exploited everywhere, but moreso in the cultures that glorify criminality.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.