Author: 312feng

How to improve oral english [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-11-20 07:44:15 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-20 08:11:37 |Display all floors
"The idea for you would be to live in a country where english is people's mother toungue."

I am American in China. I learn a lot from the people around me, but not how to speak Chinese. That takes dedicated effort on my part and help from a teacher or study partner can make my effort more fun and effective. Most important is my own effort, not my location.

Simply being in China isn't the most important thing. If I was in America, I could learn more Chinese if I had a China-born Chinese teacher experienced at teaching Americans how to speak Chinese.

Sansukong's advice is very good. Keeping it simple is best for communication. Also, don't worry about grammar, grammar only tells me if you are a native speaker or not. You're not, don't worry. You are intelligent and speaking my language, I'm impressed, I don't mind your grammar. Concentrate on improving your confidence and clearity, grammar will take care of itself in time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-20 09:37:16 |Display all floors
Have a good dream, and then you can speak a fluent any language.
dream can lead to language realm.
Don't tell others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-20 11:47:03 |Display all floors

Reply #16 jordan_c_fan's post

To improve oral english is an ordeal!

Your statement is not quite true. Learning conversational English can be fun if you remove the learning part and substitute it with games or activities. Try it yourself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-20 12:27:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2009-11-19 18:48

The first observation I can share with you is:
You aremistaken in thebelieve that speaking or practising English can only happen withlaowais present.

Why don't Chinese students show a lit ...

actually the well heeled in BeiDa (Peking University) have started speaking English exclusively with their friends.  Its a mark of intelligence to be able to communicate in another language and they know that practice is the only way to make it sound natural.  It is very effective, many students at Peking sound like ABC now.

Conversely I only speak Chinese with my classmates, I dont think I would be able to speak a sentence if it was not for that.  Still it doesnt help my reading or writing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-20 22:52:06 |Display all floors

Post #1 - If you really want to

It's not an easy thing at all, but you could attain reasonable conversational English skills through lots of practice. A few things that will help come to mind:

1.Watch English language TV programs
2.Listen to English language radio
3.Read in English
4.Write in English
5.Engage in arguments in English on topics you are interested in
6.Do not worry too much about making mistakes. You will make fewer of them if you ease up your mental tension.
7.Last but not the least, keep practicing. And remember even your mother tougue will become rusty if you do not speak it for three months!

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-11-21 03:29:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Morgezuma at 2009-11-20 08:11
"The idea for you would be to live in a country where english is people's mother toungue."

I am American in China. I learn a lot from the people around me, but not how to speak Chinese ...

of course just living in a foreign country only is not enough for someone to speak the language.You need lessons as well.
The combination of living with the english or american people while stuidy the language at the sdame time in the same country this is the best method of learning.
I have had also a personal experience.
I camer to Beijing twice as a student.I attened chinese  lessons in the university in the mornings and then in the rest of the day I used the language with the native speakers.
The results were more than fantastic.
My mind was absorbing like a sponge.This is what I meant to say.
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.