Author: satsu_jin

China fuels college student boom in U.S. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-11-23 13:58:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2009-11-23 13:54

This being said the best American Chinese speakers I have met studied outside China.

...and where is this?

Washington DC, New York, Beijing, Kunming!  I have yet to meet an American product of a Chinese university that speaks very good Chinese.  My friends who speak and read Chinese well almost all studied it in the US, some later went to China to live or work.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-11-23 14:01:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Exergy at 2009-11-23 14:58

Washington DC, New York, Beijing, Kunming!  I have yet to meet an American product of a Chinese university that speaks very good Chinese.  My friends who speak and read Chinese well almost all  ...

Maybe, just maybe, there is too much distraction for them in China's big cities.   I think you know what i mean.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-23 14:06:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2009-11-23 10:57

Not that much money for the U.S. economy but a lot for America's universities.

Harvard alone has an endowment of 26 Billion (down considerably due to the financial crisis.)
My alma mater has an operating budget of 1.5 billion and it is far from the biggest school in the country.

While foreign students certainly help US universities, they are not cash cows as they are in China.  Foreign students do not pay any more than US students while at the same time foreign students often have higher demands that need to be met.  Foreign students biggest contribution is to enhancing the overall experience of being in university in the US, by increasing diversity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-23 15:39:00 |Display all floors
America is also my eventually destination ....:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-23 15:52:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2009-11-23 14:01

Maybe, just maybe, there is too much distraction for them in China's big cities.   I think you know what i mean.

In a city like Beijing, which I believe is the biggest University town in China, at least for foreigners, there are all kinds of Universities.  Some are party schools some are not, some are so far outside the center that students rarely interact with anyone else in the city.  
My list of gripes with Chinese language education in China starts with it being to focused on written chinese, then on to its lack of incorporation of information technology and computers, then on to the poor quality of its teachers and large class size.  
Chinese teaching methods may work very well for Chinese students but they do not work so well for Foreign students.  American students struggle in large classes without computers with poor professors.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-23 17:30:27 |Display all floors
there is no deny that so many chinese students studying in America will make a equivalent contribution to our country in the future but among the huge number  ,how many  come from corrupt government officials'family?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-23 17:42:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 312feng at 2009-11-23 17:30
there is no deny that so many chinese students studying in America will make a equivalent contribution to our country in the future but among the huge number  ,how many  come from corrupt governmen ...

it depends on what you consider corrupt
the vast majority of those studying in the US are from China's privileged elite.  Many of them are the offspring of government officials.  Some of those are corrupt.  However, it needs to be said that many government officials are paid very well and lavished with benefits without being "corrupt."

One of my roommates parents drive a BMW 5 series, it was given to them by the government as part of their benefits.  Everyone in their office at that level can get the same thing so it is hard to say they are corrupt.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.