Author: sansukong

Britain may tighten controls on visas for overseas students [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-11-16 07:17:22 |Display all floors

Shouldn't affect us Chinese much

Our universities and technical schools are capable of meeting the demand on skilled people.

UK regulations should not be a problem for us Chinese. For South Asians ie Indians, Pakistanis etc, it might be a concern. For whatever reasons, England is the land of hope and glory for them and being an "Anglo Indian" puts the person in a higher caste, so I was told... (!?!)

At some point Chinese universities might ask applicants to prove they can speak and write Chinese (Putongwha).

Hong Kong remains problematic with its ads for "native English speakers only"...
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-16 07:23:01 |Display all floors

We Chinese should go where we are welcome

Remember what white Australia said of coloured people: "They hate us for what we are."
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-16 14:22:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2009-11-16 09:23
Remember what white Australia said of coloured people: "They hate us for what we are."

Please provide a source for that quote.

Did every Australian chant that statement simultaneously, or are you just being racist by attributing one person's statement to many ?
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-16 15:17:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sansukong at 2009-11-14 04:36
I would expect the Chinese government to take reciprocated steps as Britain's to prevent those entering China on a tourist visa to end up seeking employment in China. The local jobless graduates ...

Chinese Student Visas are issued to most nationalities based on your paying tution.  About 16,000 RMB a year and you are in, be you from Upper Volga or the US.  
Making Visa requirements harder will only decrease the funding of Chinese Higher Educational institutions.   
Also making it harder for only Britons will not have a positive effect.  

Chinese universities are chok full of africans, east europeans and indonesians, there are already scarely any western europeans or north americans much to the displeasure of most native chinese university students.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-17 05:03:52 |Display all floors
Look at who studies foreign languages in China: I would say, 90% are females. This means
the majorityof them will within the ten years after graduating become pregnant and then, mothers. While teaching is a fair way for them to make money and enjoy jobstability,  it also means that the schools constantly have to hire replacements. What kind of man would want to stand in for a woman teacher taking her maternity leave?

From your above statement you seem to object to women working, especially as teachers. What about women in other professions, say, as a doctor, an engineer or an accountant? Is this your best argument to justified the employment of foreigners as English teachers in China? If it is, your argument is not only, unfounded, unfair, silly, baseless, bizarre, but also above all discriminating against the female gender. Motherhood is the right of every woman. Besides, China has a one child policy. As such, a female teacher can only go on maternity leave only once in her teaching career. Does that justify your favor of recruiting foreigners in place of local lady teachers? If you are arguing of interruption of lessons caused by female teachers going on maternity leave, let me enlighten you that there is no bigger damage done to the students' learning than a school taking in foreign back-packers as substitutes as English teachers who are anything but professional teachers. Besides, their motive is not to stay put in one place to teach. Thus, this policy of the Chinese government is doing more harm than good to the teaching of the English language in schools in China. A case in point is; I have once personally the opportunity to encounter an ex -student who told me that she had being taught by English teachers from England, America, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand since primary to university.  I was impressed.You would say her English should be good. How wrong you could be! As a principal of one of the many private language institutes in China once correctly put it, that: It is simply not true that anyone with blue eyes and white skin can teach English. Bullseye!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-17 17:36:25 |Display all floors
Where on earth do you conceive the notion that man teachers are only suitable to teach science and maths and it is not manly for man to teach languages? This is the most hilarious statement I have ever heard. I believe many like me are floored by such irresponsible and absurd remarks as yours in this 21st century! Today, with almost 20 millions unemployed graduates and a shrinking job market, these graduates will be glad to lay their hands on any job opportunity they can get. China has a big pool of talent to pick and choose from without resorting to back-packing foreign English teachers. Just watch the recent CCTV challenge cup for English debate. Those finalists in the debate are an indicator as to the standard of the English attainable in China. For those thousands who took part but were eliminated in preliminary rounds would have attained a certain standard in the proficiency in the language but are just not the caliber good enough in debate. That of course is completely another issue altogether.

[ Last edited by sansukong at 2009-11-17 05:55 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.