Author: souvenir

Japanese firm agrees to pay World War II Chinese laborers [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-11-4 13:16:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by huang262 at 2009-11-4 13:23


Were the Nazis human?



Too sad - you missed again the point. We were talking about people respecting power.

Other than that, what do present day Japanese have in common with Nazis. Any substantial explanation?

Other than that I agree with # 6 and #7.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2009-11-4 13:28:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by souvenir at 2009-11-4 11:14
A protracted legal effort by a group of former Chinese laborers, who were forced to work under intense conditions during World War II by Japanese forces, has come to an end.

Under a deal, some 3 ...



I think the payment is excessive.  When even in today's china a wrongful death is only cause for a few thousand dollars and a years labor average amounts to only $4000 I think that $60,000 is too much.
If the court decides that what the Japanese corporation did was that wrong, then the punitive money should be split up and donated to Chinese charities funding a school, hospital, road, or other public service.  Some money can also go to cover the legal fees, but I dont think everyone should get such a large pay out for each individual.

Also why is this company being targeted for the suit.  The argument should be that they unduly profited.  But as the power plant was in Shandong, and the japanese did not rule shandong for very long, the idea that they profited from the illegal labor is hard to prove.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-11-4 13:36:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Exergy at 2009-11-4 14:28



I think the payment is excessive.  When even in today's china a wrongful death is only cause for a few thousand dollars and a years labor average amounts to only $4000 I think that $60,000 is ...


The plant wasn't in Shandong Province but in Hiroshima Prefecture where hundreds of foreigners, not only from China, were working as forced laborers. Afaik this is the first time that a Japanese corporation agreed to pay compensation.

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2009-11-4 13:37:18 |Display all floors

Reply #5 huang262's post

Nazi = NAsional SocIalist!

ha ha ha


know what that means?


Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-4 14:06:01 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 8Rank: 8

Post time 2009-11-4 14:15:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by huang262 at 2009-11-4 14:06


Japan conducted a genocidal war to enslave the Chinese people and you're telling me I can't call them Japs?



I'm not telling you that you can't call them "Japs" but I am telling you that is considered hate speech.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
And perpetuating hate never solves anything.
In fact, it does the opposite, it only cause more problems and reciprocal hate.

As a "moderator" you have a responsibility to lead by example.
It comes as no surprise to me that there is so much hate here when people like you have the position of "moderator".

And trying to change the subject doesn't let you off the hook.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 6Rank: 6

Post time 2009-11-4 14:44:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by huang262 at 2009-11-4 14:06


Japan conducted a genocidal war to enslave the Chinese people and you're telling me I can't call them Japs? We paid for that right with our blood!

Does America have to right to make a movie  ...


Japan of the first half of the 20th century did things like that.  The japan of today has little in common with them.Most of its population was born after that (79% of the population is under 65)  Of the remaining 21% that were alive during the Imperial Japan era, 65% are women, the remaining men were mostly too young to have done anything.  It can safely be assumed that almost all the war criminals are dead, and that the sons of war criminals are retired.  Your hatred is against the grandchildren or younger.  You have earned nothing.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.