Author: yuan_zcen

Why does no Chinese win Nobel Prize? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-10-13 22:18:27 |Display all floors
Third world countries generally produce Peace Prizes only. China's Peace Prizes would go universally to dissidents. There is a political and practical dimension to such awards: China would get angry and raise a stink, any dissident in China would face yet more severe punishment/restriction because of the award.

China won't produce many Nobel Prizes compared to its population. East Asia tends not to win them since their value system tends not to support breakthroughs of any kind.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-13 22:27:12 |Display all floors

time changes ev'rything...

coz i will let em lick my lollipop  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-13 22:30:25 |Display all floors

Nominations are kept secret...

for 50 years. Difficult to determine where there are any 2009 nominees from China. In any case, the prize is just icing on the cake, it is not important for China.

China and its scientists should concentrate on the task at hand, which is to further develop our understanding and knowledge base of science and technology and the practical application thereof.

If it is that important for Chinese scientists, than perhaps the central government should set up prizes and a committee, to be administered by the central government under the direct control of the premier's office and an advisory panel of Chinese scientists.

Speaking for myself, if I had the brain to find out how to control the synthesizing of telomerase or take fusion to a point where it is commercially viable, I would be so fulfilled that the Nobel Price becomes irrelevant, just icing on top of the cake.

Post #13
You will find that academic staff in the West have to produce papers likewise. You can concentrate on a particular research subject in depth as long as you produce results eg. role of telomeres in cancer cells and the aging process (which got a Nobel Prize). Writing 2-3 papers on the subject matter seems quite reasonable.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-13 22:37:19 |Display all floors

pay the fee and join as a member...

nobody's on this planet earth will be hangin you somethin like that without even contributin anythin to the FOUNDATION/ORGANIZATION...remember, we dont work for peanuts  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-13 23:46:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by harmless at 2009-10-13 14:51
Possible candidates are either persecuted, abroad, under house arrest or in prison.

The committee does not like to stir trouble.

And you still wonder why others refuse to discuss serious topics with you.

Childish provocator.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-14 03:48:51 |Display all floors
In science based subject at least, China doesn't get a nobel prize because China is still quite some way behind. Chinese universities (where a lot of research is done) simply don't compete with those in the west. The same expertise and resources are simply not available and many of the very intelligent Chinese would rather go abroad where they can utilise their talents better. If China wants to start seeing improvements in the scientific side, they need to improve their universities, something I don't think will be happening for a while. The mentality of how Unis are run conflicts too much with what the government would want. When the Chinese government take more of a back seat in how the country runs, that is when you will begin to see more innovation.
Defender of sanity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-14 05:16:39 |Display all floors
"run the country from the back seat position"

Good advice.

ragerancher

somebody soon will call you a childish provocateur.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.