Author: Morgezuma

For God and Country! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-9-26 21:48:51 |Display all floors
Seneca, you probably have something interesting to say about Soviet coldwar expansionism and Chinese influence in Asia and it's growing influence world-wide. If you want to show us how that is affecting World Affairs Today, please open a new thread about that and share your ideas. I'd love to read more about that. I'll post there too if I have something to contribute.

Here my topic here is related to the people being butchering today in the name of God and democracy.  My country is responsible. Britain spawned my country, and now follows us around wherever we go, doing as we do, whatever we do. If we bomb, they bomb, if we kick down doors at midnight, they do too, if we rape, they rape, if we get caught in embarrassing torture photos, they match us, shame for shame.

All along, our leaders repeat again and again the constant themes of democracy and Christianity. Our recruitment ads mention God, the Brits recruit with God's help too. Our president says it's right to spread democracy at gun-point, Britain agrees. Our President says we are doing God's work, the British PM says "Amen!"

The latest wave of western imperialism has some Christian themes, and is branded as a war to spread democracy. It seems hypocritical that we have all sorts of allies who are not democratic. We will kill in the name of democracy, but only if the country is too weak to fight back. Powerful countries going about slaughtering the weak seems alarming to me. Especially when it is my country leading the way, I have a special interest in this.

So I opened a new thread to talk about how the imperial traditions the west established during the crusades and during the age of colonialism are currently affecting World Affairs Today.
expanding-our-market-share.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-27 01:20:19 |Display all floors
I live in Britain and I can tell you that is a pile of crap. "for God and country" is NOT a British motto and never has been. For king/Queen and country has been but that was dumped soon after WW2.

"Whole nations had their progress set back hundreds of years" again that is bull----. The USA was suddenly brought into the modern times. India was brought into modern times as was Australia and just about everywhere we went moved forward rather than backwards. How about Zimbabwe eh? We go out and in a few years the country is on of the biggest economic messes in the world. This happened AFTER the British relinquished control so get your facts strait. It was Mugabe a his total inability to rule that destroyed Zimbabwe (was called Rhodesia in British colonial times). As I have said to many people here, don't start posting stuff that is intentionally incorrect.
Defender of sanity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-27 01:24:32 |Display all floors
You look at countries where we are supposedly trying to force Christianity on the populations. Look who has done the most killings. It is Muslims in their own country killing their own people that cause the most deaths. This was true before we went there too! You are so warped that any death in Afghanistan or Iraq is immediately the fault of the west, not of a suicide bomber who purposely targeted a market place full of innocent people! You relieve the terrorists of all responsibility for what they do and transfer it onto the west. You even go as far as to blame attacks against the west on the west.
Defender of sanity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-27 01:48:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ragerancher at 2009-9-27 01:20
The USA was suddenly brought into the modern times.

::grins::

Britain brought the USA into the modern times?  You are confusing North America with USA. By planting some colonies in North America, Britain helped to bring genocide, disease, and other evils the people of North America who were doing just fine before the Europeans showed up.

Britain did the same thing in Australia. You will find no natives in America or Australia or Africa thanking Britain for "bringing them up into the modern times". They owe Britain a debt, but it's not the kind of payback you are hoping for.

You say "the British relinquished control"

Britain never relinquished anything of value. After breaking many weak civilizations and leaving them with nothing and no hope, Britain moved on to exploit others. In many cases Britain was thrown out by force. Do you really think Britain was righteous and all those defeated countries owe thanks to The Crown? Britain did kind deeds, and all those that hate what Britain did to them are simply ungrateful barbarians?
britain-maumau-massacre.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-27 18:37:00 |Display all floors
Show me anywhere where I said Britain was right in what it did. Before you start lecturing me about genocide, in very few cases was it actively a British policy to cause genocide. That was the responsiblity and choice taken by the settlers. If you do any research in the USA, you will see that Britain actually made a boundary to prevent westward expansion of the american colonies. This was partly responsible for the American revolution. Learn your history. Also, Britain is the ONLY empire in history to have actively fought against slavery. We had a bad slave trade (along with France, The Netherland and Spain but people forget these because they are not British) but we also did more to make ammends for it than any other nation. We were fighting slavery whilst the USA still promoted it. Even things like the Roman empire didn't ban slavery in the centuries it existed for.

Also. if you believe that the people of N.America were angels, you are very far from the truth. N.Americans were not the noble, peace loving people you see in films. In reality, they could be very vicious and tribal wars were common places, as well as things such as scalping. This is another bit of history people like to pretend didn't happen.

As for Australia, again all we did was dump the people there. Once there, it was their choice to do what they did, not that of the British government or people back home.

If you think Britain never relinquished control then you are braindead. To use a common example: Canada. Canada is now an independent country to Britain yet there was no war to achieve that aim. We simply let them go. After WW2, Britain began giving away control of its territories to the people that lived there and started dismantling the empire to form the Commonwealth. I suggest you read some history books before telling a Brit what Brits think. You, being an American, have no clue about what I think. I do have a good idea of what Brits think as I am one.
Defender of sanity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-27 21:17:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ragerancher at 2009-9-27 18:37
Show me anywhere where I said Britain was right in what it did.

I won't show you Rage, I am only too happy to see that we finally agree that what Britain did was wrong.

Rage, your last post is so full of yummy goodness

Before you start lecturing me about genocide, in very few cases was it actively a British policy to cause genocide.

Genocide was only British policy a few times? Ok. A few genocides is no problem, you should tell that to rrhonda, he's been thinking that even a single genocide is unforgiveable.

[it was the USA that genocided the North Americans] Learn your history.

You are right, and I understand. America is responsible for genocide in North America.

Britain is the ONLY empire in history to have actively fought against slavery. We had a bad slave trade

Every slave nation that stopped slaving immediately complained to other slave nations. That was their idea of fair competition. "If we arn't using slaves, you can't either." Now you say that Britain "had a bad slave trade". I don't argue this, you are right. I also completely agree with you that America was still slaving when Britain stopped.

Even things like the Roman empire didn't ban slavery in the centuries it existed for.

You are right, Britain's slavery was similar to, but not exactly like the slavery in ancient Rome. Except that Roman's didn't discriminate. Slaves came in many colors and ethnicities back then.

I understand your point. Almost all of Europe, and almost all of the colonies such as America, Australia and South Africa were a part of western imperialism. Western imperialism spawned genocides thousands of miles from Europe, and it's not all Britains fault. I agree.

The point of my thread is that America and Britain are STILL spreading the pain. They do this in the name of democracy. In this thread I was just showing the history of all this. I've been showing where we came from, what led us to this point. Where we are going
for-god-and-country.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-27 21:36:46 |Display all floors
Also, you may want to look into the formation of China. One recurring theme pops up "millions died." China has been having massive wars with deaths not seen in the west until the 18th century up to WW2.
Defender of sanity.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.