Views: 2824|Replies: 4

A friendly environment... for some [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-9-1 22:46:41 |Display all floors
Ben Cubby, Environment Reporter

THE new uranium mine approved by the Environment Minister, Peter Garrett, will be owned by a subsidiary of one of the world's biggest arms dealers.

A colourful but reclusive billionaire named James Neal Blue, who helped devise the Predator unmanned aircraft being used in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, is a director of Quasar Resources - the company that will control the Four Mile mine.

Quasar Resources is an affiliate of General Atomics, a US weapons and nuclear energy corporation which is chaired by Mr Blue, and reportedly holds $US700 million ($877 million) in Pentagon contracts. Mr Blue, 74, first came to prominence during the 1980s as a self-described "enthusiastic supporter" of US involvement in a covert war against the left-wing government in Nicaragua.

Next to the new Four Mile mine is the Beverley uranium mine, which is owned by Heathgate Resources, also affiliated to Mr Blue's General Atomics, meaning that almost 200 square kilometres is now dedicated to the two related mines.

Mr Garrett yesterday defended the decision to grant environmental approval for the Four Mile mine, saying there would be strict monitoring of radioactive waste.

The decision was endorsed by the Opposition Leader, Malcolm Turnbull, and by the Minerals Council of Australia.

Mr Garrett, a former environmental campaigner who protested against both uranium mining and the US military presence in Australia, denied yesterday that he had compromised his principles.

"Look that is an old song, it's an old cycle that we hear from political opponents who seem to forget that I joined the Labor Party, I became a member of the Government and I said at the time that I would accept, as a team player, the decisions that the Government took," he said.

"And my job, as a consequence of that, is to support the Government's decision clearly and make sure as Environment Minister that I set the bar on environmental protection as high as it needs to go and that is world's best practice and that is what we have done with this decision."

However environmental groups have serious concerns about the height of that bar, pointing out that there is no requirement for the company to ever clean up the radioactive plumes which can be expected to drift slowly around in the water table.

The Beverley mine, which uses the same acid corrosion technique to extract uranium from aquifers as will be used at Four Mile, has recorded 59 spills of radioactive material in the past decade, according to the South Australian Department of Primary Industries and Resources.

Mr Blue's Quasar Resources has joined the Australian mineral exploration company Alliance Resources to set up the mine.

According to The New York Times, Mr Blue once part-owned a cocoa and banana plantation in Nicaragua with the family of former president Anastasio Somoza.

He told the paper he was supportive of the Contra guerillas that fought Nicaragua's Sandinista government but refused to discuss any link to CIA operations in that country.

Mr Blue's brother, Linden, was briefly imprisoned by the Cuban dictator Fidel Castro after apparently violating Cuban air space in a private aircraft.

Mr Blue established a business empire based on oil and real estate, before moving into weapons and nuclear power.

He is regarded as a pioneer of the unmanned aircraft that the US military uses to spy on and bomb its enemies.

General Atomics has also prospered, and between 2000 and 2005 it was the biggest corporate sponsor of travel for members of the US Congress and their families and aides.

Mr Blue bought tracts of uranium-rich land in Australia decades ago, before the Federal Government had approved uranium mining, according to a profile in Fortune magazine.

Uranium from the Four Mile mine will gradually replace ore from the decade-old Beverley mine, with most of the exported uranium expected to be sent to reactors in the US.

-smh.com.au

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-1 22:58:27 |Display all floors

Peter Garrett as a singer

"Blue Sky Mining"

Hey, hey-hey hey
There'll be food on the table tonight
Hey, hey, hey hey
There'll be pay in your pocket tonight

My gut is wrenched out it is crunched up and broken
A life that is led is no more than a token
Who'll strike the flint upon the stone and tell me why
If I yell out at night there's a reply of bruised silence
The screen is no comfort I can't speak my sentence
They blew the lights at heaven's gate and I don't know why

But if I work all day at the blue sky mine
(There'll be food on the table tonight)
Still I walk up and down on the blue sky mine
(There'll be pay in your pocket tonight)

The candy store paupers lie to the share holders
They're crossing their fingers they pay the truth makers
The balance sheet is breaking up the sky
So I'm caught at the junction still waiting for medicine
The sweat of my brow keeps on feeding the engine
Hope the crumbs in my pocket can keep me for another night
And if the blue sky mining company won't come to my rescue
If the sugar refining company won't save me
Who's gonna save me?

But if I work all day...

And some have sailed from a distant shore
And the company takes what the company wants
And nothing's as precious, as a hole in the ground

Who's gonna save me?
I pray that sense and reason brings us in
Who's gonna save me?
We've got nothing to fear

In the end the rain comes down
Washes clean, the streets of a blue sky town

(Midnight Oil)

Prophetic words.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-2 08:33:56 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2009-9-1 22:46

THE new uranium mine approved by the Environment Minister, Peter Garrett, will be owned by a subsidiary of one of the world's biggest arms dealers.

No complaints from the Aussies here, just when a Chinese company wants to buy 15% of an ozzi iron ore miner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-5 12:23:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by peterb at 2009-9-1 22:46

THE new uranium mine approved by the Environment Minister, Peter Garrett, will be owned by a subsidiary of one of the world's biggest arms dealers....
Quasar Resources is an affiliate of General Atomics, a US weapons and nuclear energy corporation which is chaired by Mr Blue, and reportedly holds $US700 million ($877 million) in Pentagon contracts. Mr Blue, 74, first came to prominence during the 1980s as a self-described "enthusiastic supporter" of US involvement in a covert war against the left-wing government in Nicaragua.

Mr. "Blue", U.S. arms dealer and warmonger will now have control of an Aussie uranium mine. Charming.

Proof, if any is needed, of who controls Oz.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-5 14:12:37 |Display all floors
Sadly,so many musicians and other entertainers become wh#@$s for the New World Order.Those who
don't toe the line often die premature deaths.Jimi Hendrix paid the ultimate price for his version of the Star
Spangled Banner.John Lennon did too for his commitment to peace.

The entertainment industry is a serious component of the Ministry of Truth.The entertainers are expected
to play their part in maintaining the docility and the loyalty of the sheeple.The  Britney Spears
disgustingly called for support for monstrous war criminal Dubya.

This fellow Garrett was probably all along a prospective political puppet using his musical career to draw
attention to himself as a possible future charismatic "leader".

And I suppose the Indigenous Australians will as usual get nothing from this abuse of nature and their
land.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.