Views: 9197|Replies: 33

Why are so many Chinese in thse forums so Anglocentric? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-8-19 18:30:12 |Display all floors
I've noticed that many posters in China Daily seem more interested in discussing issues about the English-speaking world than about China itself. When I was in China, I'd found most Chinese wre more concerned about their own issues, but here in this forum, the discussions are almost always about English-speaking countries, or China's relations with them.

I was wondering why this is? Is it that most Chinese here know English owing to a higher level of education and so have become more Anglicized culturally? Is it that not many in these forums are Chinese to begin with?

Just curioius.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-19 18:35:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-19 19:34:20 |Display all floors
I have a possible answer to your question.

MOST 'Chinese' in this forum are NOT IN CHINA. Most 'Laowais' ARE!
"Finch...stay away from that Ficus! That's a jizz-free Ficus."- Steve Stiffler

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-19 23:09:25 |Display all floors

Reply #3 tekvicious's post

Good possible reason.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-20 00:17:53 |Display all floors

Yet, with full registration...

... that question can be resolved in a quick hurry, yes?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-20 00:24:41 |Display all floors

Reply #5 tradervic's post

As a foreigner who lives in China, I'm against full registration for obvious reasons. Vic, it's all very well to call for it when you're safely not in China but it's another ball game if you live in China and, if we say one possible small thing wrong, the PSB come knocking. I'm not saying it will happen, but anything is possible.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-20 00:31:56 |Display all floors

Let's not kid ourselves Kiwi...

Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 8/19/2009 11:24 AM
As a foreigner who lives in China, I'm against full registration for obvious reasons. Vic, it's all very well to call for it when you're safely not in China but it's another ball game if you live in China and, if we say one possible small thing wrong, the PSB come knocking. I'm not saying it will happen, but anything is possible.  

... every foreigner that comes to P.R. China is already "fully registered", with the PSB option always at the ready to be sprung.  After the brooming before the Olympics last year, it should be quite obvious.

As for this fishbowl, same rules do apply - if the PSB wants to track a person by I.P. and ISP - they will with a vengence.  A cute avatar and handle is not much of a shield - cripes that court case in New York is showing that.

Truth - the only thing that full registration would do is to finally lay to rest who is really who.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.