Author: agent 9

汉译英 欢迎各路高手指正 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-8-16 07:47:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lostsheep at 2009-8-14 09:03

Excellent job, except for the last sentence, "What choice will you make?", which doesn't seem quite coherent with the preceding content. I feel, though it reads quite natural in Chinese, the word Choice, if literally translated into Chinese, would read a little bit dangling to the English reader. How about "What will you do with your car in this situation?"

谢啦! 你把问题点出来了。那个考官说话故意误导,引诱报名者往错误的方向想。

但你的车只能在坐下一个人,你会如何选择?-- Seemingly a trick played by the interviewer to mislead the poor applicants. It will help a lot if the English translation goes like this: "Remember your car has two seats in total. Can you formulate a solution with maximum benefits?"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-16 07:49:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by agent 9 at 2009-8-12 15:16

我不知道这是不是一个对你性格的测试, 因为每一个回答都有他自己的原因。老人快要死了,你首先应该先救他。你也想让那个医生上车,因为他救过你,这是个好机会报答他。还有就是你的梦中情人。错过了这个机会,你可能永远不能遇到一个让你这么心动的人了。在200个应征者中,只有一个人被雇佣了,他并没有解释他的理由,他只是说了以下的话“给医生车钥匙,让他带着老人去医院,而我则留下来陪我的梦中情人一起等公车!每个人我认识的人都认为以上的回答是最好的。但没有一个人(包括我在内)一开始都没想到,是否是因为我们从未想过要放弃我们手中已经拥有的优势(车钥匙)? 有时,如果我们能放弃一些我们的固执、狭隘,和一些优势的话,我们可能会得到更多。

You may consider it as a character test. But each answer comes with a good reason. The elderly person is dying, whose life you must save. You also want to help your doctor so that you can repay the debt you owe. And then there is your dream sweetheart. If you miss the chance, you will not have it back again. There will never be another person who can make your heart throb so hard! Of the 200 applicants, only one got the job, who, when asked to make a choice, simply said the following: "Give the car key to the doctor. Let him drive the ill person to the hospital. And I will stay there with my dream sweetheart waiting for the bus." Every one I discussed with agreed that this is the best answer. But none thought in the same direction to begin with: that is, to give up some of the advantages already in possession such as the key to a car. Sometimes, when we get rid of a little of our stubbornness and prejudice, or when we give up some of the advantages we possess, we end up getting more in return.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-16 14:49:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by eveningstar at 2009-8-16 07:49

You may consider it as a character test. But each answer comes with a good reason. The elderly person is dying, whose life you must save. You also want to help your doctor so that you can repay t ...

Every one I discussed with agreed that this is the best version,. But none thought in the same direction to begin with: that is, to make it read like genuine english .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-16 16:38:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by agent 9 at 2009-8-16 14:49

Every one I discussed with agreed that this is the best version,. But none thought in the same direction to begin with: that is, to make it read like genuine english .

So you don't like it. And I can tell that you are offended, although I don't know why.
Would you be satisfied if I change "Every one I discussed with agreed..." to "Every one I know of, and with whom I discussed the above test, agreed..."?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-17 08:18:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by eveningstar at 2009-8-16 16:38

So you don't like it. And I can tell that you are offended, although I don't know why.
Would you be satisfied if I change "Every one I discussed with agreed..." to "Every one I [ ...

不知道为什么你会误解这么一句很明显在欣赏你的翻译的一句compliment 。或许我英语实在太烂了而说出了让人误解的话: 我和别人讨论过, 都说你这是最好的翻译, 但是没有人1开始就像你这样翻译,也就是说,把翻译得地道。oops!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-18 13:43:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by agent 9 at 2009-8-17 08:18

不知道为什么你会误解这么一句很明显在欣赏你的翻译的一句compliment 。或许我英语实在太烂了而说出了让人误解的话: 我和别人讨论过, 都说你这是最好的翻译, 但是没有人1开始就像你这样翻译,也就是说,把翻译得地道。oops!

You've made clear what you mean.    You can now forget it.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.