Views: 3992|Replies: 9

Should the Chinese turn inward to solving their internal problems? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-7-5 05:10:43 |Display all floors
In many threads already, I've noticed Chinese criticizing foreign countries for various injustices against China, yet seldom do they turn inward to see how they themselves could solve the problem.

Just to take one case in point, many Chinese on these forums criticize the lack of qualifications of English-teachers in China, yet totally overlook the policies of their own government as the very source of the problem. Let's compare this to Italy (though this applies to a number of other European nations too now). Up to 1993, the Italian government, various academics, and many Italians began to express concern over what they referred to as 'cocacolonizare' (Coca-Cola colonization), with reference to the hegemonic and monopolistic power of the Englsih language and Anglo-American culture in Italy and the long-term potential threat it posed to the Italian language and culture. Instead of wasting their energy insulting English-speakers for their predicament, they recognized their ability to take power into their own hands and solve this issue on their own, and so turned to their own government to take action, culminating in the 1993 Interministerial decree making new changes to second-language instruction policies in Italy, adding more languages to fulfil second-language requirements to successfully complete their compulsory education:

http://www.internacialingvo.org/public/study.pdf

I was wondering how many here think the Chinese could achieve more if they should petition their own government to solve such internal problems as English-language hegemony, and how many think it's more productive to focus on blaming foreigners instead.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-5 05:45:50 |Display all floors

If There are Problems to be Solved

If there are problems to be solved, internal or external, we Chinese today can confidently rely on the best performing, most capable, most wise set of leaders that the world has, bar none.  Foreigners do not solve Chinese problems, they just bring more problems - has always been, will always be.  Only the Chinese can solve China's problems.

And why do you think China stands alone today as best performing economy on earth?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-5 05:58:24 |Display all floors
So if you agree that the Chinese people can best solve their problems, then why are there so many threads insulting foreigners as if solving China's problems is in the hands of foreigners?

[ Last edited by tianyuanedu at 2009-7-5 06:00 AM ]
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-5 06:06:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2009-7-5 05:45
If There are Problems to be Solved

If there are problems to be solved, internal or external, we Chinese today can confidently rely on the best performing, most capable, most wise set of leaders that the world has, bar none.  Foreigners do not solve Chinese problems, they just bring more problems - has always been, will always be.  Only the Chinese can solve China's problems.

And why do you think China stands alone today as best performing economy on earth?  

So Tongluren, just to take a concrete example, how do you think we could best solve the problem of poor English-teaching policy in China:

1. For the Chinese to work with their government to improve second-language teaching policy as they did in Italy when facing a similar problem?

2. To just point fingers at and blame foreigners while never looking at how their own second-language teaching policy contributes to the problem?

3. Or another solution?

Personally, I'd go for 1 above. Foreign teachers have no say in second-language policy in China, and so pointing fingers at and insulting them does nothing whatsoever to solve the problem. If the Chinese should petition their own government to reform its second-language teaching policies, as had happened in Italy, however, then we might see some improvment.

Unfortunately, however, it would seem based on the threads on these forums, that many Chinese believe the solution lies with the foreign teachers and so blame them for  their own governemnt's second-language teaching policies.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-5 07:04:32 |Display all floors

knowin another language is NO DOUBT...

i dont like to pinpoint any handicap that the foreign teachers might have with their education background at this time, but surely enough difficult for us the chinese mainlanders to use/practice english daily without a partner or even some foreigner to mumblin with (another obstacle is that china is not an international community...maybe in the near future)  but as is now, most of my QQfriends are pretty pretty good with their english writin skills than oral english conversations  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-5 07:15:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by NYChinatown at 2009-7-5 07:04
knowin another language is NO DOUBT...

i dont like to pinpoint any handicap that the foreign teachers might have with their education background at this time, but surely enough difficult for us the chinese mainlanders to use/practice english daily without a partner or even some foreigner to mumblin with (another obstacle is that china is not an international community...maybe in the near future)  but as is now, most of my QQfriends are pretty pretty good with their english writin skills than oral english conversations   

This is what I can't understand. When Italy felt threatened by English, its Ministry of Education started taking gradual action in 1993 to give schools more second-languages to choose from to fulfil compulsory second-language requirements for compulsory graduation. In China, it seems the government, instead of taking any concrete action, would rather continue to impose English on the population even if it fuels more resentment against foreigners. What is so fundamentally different between the Chinese and the Italians that the Italians took action while the Chinese are still just complaining? When we consider the demographic size of China in comparison to that of Italy, it's clear that China is far more powerful than Italy. If Italy could do it, then certainly China can too. So what is it that makes the Chinese in these forums feel so powerless as to believe that all they can do is insult foreigners rather while the Italians had the confidence to petition their government instead. What is the fundamental difference here?

In fact, though there is now less English in Italian schools than Chinese schools today, the Italians now have better relations with their English-speaking counterparts, and I beleive it has to do in part with a greater sense of equality on their part, whereas the Chinese continue to feel invaded by English, resulting in this sense of resentment that does nothing to build friendlier relations between the peoples.

[ Last edited by tianyuanedu at 2009-7-5 07:16 AM ]
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-5 07:25:16 |Display all floors

PLEASE dont quote me on this...

Originally posted by tianyuanedu at 2009-7-4 18:15

This is what I can't understand. When Italy felt threatened by English, its Ministry of Education started taking gradual action in 1993 to give schools more second-languages to choose from to f ...

i follow what you're sayin but i guess we have some sort of pride & dignity amongst us chinese people...we're just not quite sure how to let it goes yet  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.