Author: expatter

The West and the Right to Independence. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-7-6 03:37:33 |Display all floors
Genuine concern for a general principle doesn't translate into a high profile for all instances. Moreover, not every person agrees on every claim; some are considered clear-cut by a majority others are considered more murky. It also helps to have a charismatic leader who can actively work the public relations and raise the profile of the cause.

Really, though, I think your question is disingenuous. You know all this as well as I do. Your statement is pretty fracking moronic: of course you don't get any attention unless you do something to provoke attention. People might be concerned about a general principle, they're not omniscient.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-7-6 15:42:05 |Display all floors

'fracking moronic'

The Basques and the Kurds have done more than most to highlight their issues and this should help show that my question is genuine.

As to people not being omniscient, that is just stating the obvious that any fool could state.

What is disingenuous is the media coverage, and it would beg the question of who and why one cause would get far more coverage than another.  Obviously, as you stated and again, which anyone knows, is having an iconic figure in the spotlight helps.  But was this the case in Northern Ireland where the IRA were finally given real status and the outcome was a negotiated settlement. This I feel was more to do with the reported atrocious actions rather than an icon and very difficult for the press not to highlight.

People do not care about the Kurds or the Basques because their cause is not highlighted in the corporately owned media which is politically driven and motivated.

Hence my initial question.

'How could anyone from these countries claim to know anything about Tibet, autonomy, independence and human rights ??'

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-7 08:47:47 |Display all floors
You're not making any sense at all.

How does corporate ownership play into it? Most of what people know about the TBT issue comes from non-profit groups, not mainstream media.

How does politics play into it? Most of the same groups are highly leftist organizations that aren't generally critical of China on any other matter.

Finally, even if it did, it wouldn't support your last statement: there is nothing about either factor that would back that claim. Even if there was a deep, abiding hypocrisy at work, it wouldn't undermine the case presented for TBTan auto.nomy or ind.ependence. It would be a valid, rock solid case.

The people would be hypocrites, to be sure, but they would be hypocrites with a valid, rock solid case against you.

Like most lesser debaters, you confuse motive with evidence.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-7 12:54:47 |Display all floors

Reply #1 expatter's post

The Maori are probably the best treated indigenous people in the world FYI. Nice folks too, my great Grandma was one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-7 12:56:06 |Display all floors
I thought all kiwis living in NZ were known as Maori.

If not, how does Maoris look?
wat are they? (colour, langauge)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-7 13:03:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2009-7-7 08:47
Most of what people know about the TBT issue comes from non-profit groups, not mainstream media ...

You mean those financed by CIA front, NED?

CIA indeed is a non-profit terrorist organization.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2009-7-7 13:12:09 |Display all floors

You are not making any sense at all.

How does corporate ownership play into it? Most of what people know about the TBT issue comes from non-profit groups, not mainstream media.

You could provide details of this please rather than just your stated opinion.
Who are the groups that have influenced the Western general public?  One or two would be fine.

How does politics play into it? Most of the same groups are highly leftist organizations that aren't generally critical of China on any other matter.

Again you give no information.  Who are they?

Finally, even if it did, it wouldn't support your last statement: there is nothing about either factor that would back that claim. Even if there was a deep, abiding hypocrisy at work, it wouldn't undermine the case presented for TBTan auto.nomy or ind.ependence. It would be a valid, rock solid case.

Please provide details of the rock solid valid case. None given so far.

The people would be hypocrites, to be sure, but they would be hypocrites with a valid, rock solid case against you.

You already said that.

Like most lesser debaters, you confuse motive with evidence.

Like most arrogant posters here you confuse schemata with its source.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.