Views: 8440|Replies: 29

The West [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-7-2 16:22:59 |Display all floors
After continueing to argue with people on this forum about what the west is and isnt I started to ask around.  
To my surprise most people I considered to be part of the West actually do believe they are part of the western world, confirming my beliefs.  
What makes the west?
A European link in history, most of the West is either in Europe, was colonized or occupied by another Western power.
A free market economic model.
A transparent press.
Some form of self determination, it need not be full democracy, but it cant be a military board calling the shots.

I asked my friends in South America; Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, Mexico, and Columbia all consider themselves to be part of the West.
South Africans believe they are part of the west.  Whites, Blacks, and Coloreds all agree they are in the Western world.

Australians and New Zealanders believe they are in the Western world, despite their rather south eastern location.  Perhaps what we have suspected for years is true, Aussie eduction is not up to snuff.
I don't have too many friends from that area but I would be interested to know at what point eastern Europe become the west.  Obviously east Germany is now Germany and in the Western World.  The Polish I have met consider it to be in the West.  I am not all that sure the further east you go. But many of those nations now have everything I outlined above to be part of the west.
Is Israel part of the west?

Note the map attached has the West in Blue and that TIwan is blue while the rest of China is red.  Despite possibly being one country the Island and the Mainland have two different Economies, Governments, and Presses.  I wouldn't really include them either way as the colorization from the dutch was so long ago.  Hong Kong and Macau are also on their in a different color despite definitely being the same country. Best I could do with the maps I could find. So Ignore that part of the map.
the west.GIF

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-2 16:52:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-7-2 16:22
After continueing to argue with people on this forum about what the west is and isnt I started to ask around.  
To my surprise most people I considered to be part of the West actually do believe t ...

as long as those half breed has linked to BRITAIN, t

hey are DEFINITELY from the WEST

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-3 18:59:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by uokiokokla at 2009-7-2 16:52

as long as those half breed has linked to BRITAIN, t

hey are DEFINITELY from the WEST

I don't think western has much to do with race.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-3 19:26:04 |Display all floors
Idiot,

"The West" is roughly the area where the ideas of the Renaissance hold sway as the major determinants of development either because the country was originally part of it or because it was integrated over decades, if not centuries.

In that regard, the West is roughly: North and South America, Europe (including Russia), Australia and New Zealand, South Africa, Israel and Turkey. Government and economics really has little to do with it because, except in the case of strongmen, they all flow from the ideas shaped by the Renaissance. Strongmen, obviously, are just the biggest thugs on their block.

Funny story: it seems unpopular to note that the basis of the PRC is in Western, not East Asian, ideas.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-3 19:38:59 |Display all floors
and what about of Mongolia position ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-3 20:09:06 |Display all floors
If I look at all the countries it seems to me that their bond to the "WEST" stems from the political system (which is multi-party democracy) - might be a few exceptions.

But that is what it looks to me.

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-7-3 21:24:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Kbay at 2009-7-3 21:12

You correctly picked the right handle name describing the functionality of your head!
Tell me, those 'friends' you interviewed, did any of them lived under the city passover bridges?
Did any  ...

I believe he also wanted to ask some of your friends, but they are all in the training camps in Bora Bora.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.