Views: 3456|Replies: 5

Lights out at China's top universities [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-6-29 13:29:07 |Display all floors
Exam day, today was one of the final exam days for a number of universities around the country.  I happened to be taking part in one of them at a very prestigious university in north west Beijing.
Looking back there have been some electricity problems in the past few weeks but I thought it was just a local thing.  Apparently BJ is having trouble meeting the electricity demands as everyone turns on their air conditioners.
So here I was sitting for an exam in thermodynamics when the power goes out.  I am thinking ok the exam will be postponed or perhaps the professor will go and get an emergency light or something.  I guess I was wrong, we were told to finish the test.  The room was fairly dark as it only had one window on the north side of the building for a room with 25 students.  Could we get up and move towards the light, no.  I was lucky sitting on the north side of the classroom I had a bit more light.  It was very difficult to read and further more uncomfortable because of the AC going out.
Now thinking back on this, I do not expect China to have as good a power grid as the US, Japan or Europe but I was expecting a little more than random brownouts in the captial.  I also would have expected that such a controlled society would be able to plan around any brown outs.  Even in India you know in every area from say 2-4pm the power will be cut, you plan your life around it.  Apparently not in Beijing.  I would also have expected every class room to have emergency flood lights.  Every class room in a developed country has them, more every commercial building and some residences have them to.  You know those big ugly things that turn on when the power fails, last 12 hours or so.  Nope apparently too much for a premier research institution in Beijing.

Contrasting this with my experiences in the US, France, and S.Korea.  In the US my middle school lost water, it was closed for 1 day while bottled water was brought in.  My university in the US was a large state run institution, it had its own power station.  A category 4 hurricane hit the campus and power went down for 30 minutes while the lines to the main grid were cut, then power was restored, flood lights were of use in the 30 minute dark period.  In southern France I cant remember the power or water ever failing but I am sure the biggest complaint would have been that the coffee machines didnt work anymore.  In all cases class would have been postponed and an exam definitely canceled or postponed.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-6-29 13:48:15 |Display all floors
Power outages can happen everywhere.  Even in Tokyo we had one about 6 or 7 years ago. I have lived in Beijing for several years and did not see a singe power failure.

Even in India you know in every area from say 2-4pm the power will be cut, you plan your life around it.  

I recommend you a stay in New Delhi, not just somewhere in ND but in one of the top residential/diplomatic areas, i.e. either Vasant Vihar, Panchila Park or Shanti Niketan. Then you should try to plan the power outages that are common day in, day out, all over the city. Not for 2 or 4 hours but often for more than 8 hours. This is common occurence from April to September and for shorter periods of time during the months of October to March.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 14:40:59 |Display all floors
when I was in India last year Delhi had power the whole day long but crappy cities like Jaipur and Ahmadabad had a morning and a afternoon brown out each was 2 hours long and it wasn't peak summer.

The power outage was not really the problem it was having to continue the test in the dark that irked me complicated by not having any emergency light.    Is this why so many Chinese have bad eye sight.
Still it was lucky, it was thermodynamics, easy stuff for me.  Last Friday I had controls and that would have been impossible in the dark, at least for me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-29 14:46:14 |Display all floors

re:#1

When you complain something about what happened in China, there're always posts to tell you that there're worse cases in other countries. It's a typical pattern in this forum. Sounds like that China should not be exceed those countries.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-30 15:28:18 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-30 15:44:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by amyamy at 2009-6-29 14:46
When you complain something about what happened in China, there're always posts to tell you that there're worse cases in other countries. It's a typical pattern in this forum. Sounds like that Chin ...

do i do that often????

O u good for nothing gweilos

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.