Views: 4076|Replies: 7

Cultural Relics Still Being Sold! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-6-22 17:39:47 |Display all floors
Just came back from Jiangxi where apparently they have yet to get the message that cultural relics are not suppose to be sold.
Slightly south of Huangshan and east of Jingdezhen is an area called Wuyuan.  Zhangzimin is from there.  Anyway there are numerous villages each about 500-1000 years old mostly became rich and prosperous in the Ming Dynasty.  

Ill spare the history lesson, but today you can go and buy relics from the areas past.  Sure there are knock offs and fake goods but there is also nothing stopping you from buying thereal thing.  You might want some ornate door carving or delicate window screen.  Temple objects and ceremonial glass wear can all be yours.  Most of it comes from the houses themselves many of which are falling down they are so poorly taken care of.  Those that are well taken care of are given 10 yuan a day to become tourist attractions where floods of rude tour groups run around and play farmer.  

Anyway back to the relics.  You can have yourself a pair of stone lions from some of the houses foundations  or the ornate door way carvings for a few thousand yuan.  I found it all to easy.  As much as I might have wanted something like that and as much as I might have wanted to help these people I could not think of buying their ancestors heritage for my own use.  It sickens me that people in China will do this and at the same time call the buyers fowl.  If you dont want your culture cut up, boxed away and sold off then you have to stop it at the source before you can get up on a high horse and start calling other people barbarians.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-6-22 17:43:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-6-22 18:39

I believe that it is no crime to sell such items as long as they're not exported abroad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-22 17:46:24 |Display all floors
Yeah!
The high elephant is also my problem !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-23 03:52:50 |Display all floors

Reply #1 idiot8's post

Who are the barbarians, the buyers or sellers?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-24 14:28:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by satsu_jin at 2009-6-22 17:43

I believe that it is no crime to sell such items as long as they're not exported abroad.

that may be the case, but I assure you that when thinking of taking these things out of china, my conscience and my lack of desire for these things were what was keeping me from doing it.  The border guards do not pose much of a deterrent and if they did it is too easy to obtain a reproduction sticker.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-24 19:32:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by idiot8 at 2009-6-24 14:28

that may be the case, but I assure you that when thinking of taking these things out of china, my conscience and my lack of desire for these things were what was keeping me from doing it.  The  ...

I don't know how often you've travelled out of China (and from where), but my experience is certainly the opposite of yours. I've flown out from Beijing many (MANY) times (mainly the US or Europe), and the security guards there are extremely careful (as they should be ).

Don't know what a fake reproduction sticker would do there. If you know that they are so easy to obtain, then we can be pretty certain that the security guards also know... China takes the illegal export of antiquities VERY serious, and I wouldn't want to get caught at the border with a fake sticker on some lame-a$$ century old window carving...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-6-25 21:16:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by oioioi at 2009-6-24 19:32

I don't know how often you've travelled out of China (and from where), but my experience is certainly the opposite of yours. I've flown out from Beijing many (MANY) times (mainly the US or Euro ...

My experience is from travelling around China, Japan, and South Korea.  I often take over my allowance of alcohol in and out of China to give as gifts or to save for a special dinner.  I am perfectly willing to pay the extra duty due on each extra bottle of booze but those in China never seem to care.  I get more of a hassle in the Subway when my bag is scanned and they detect alcohol, I suppose they think I am carrying a home made bomb.  I wonder how many terrorists run around in tailor made suits.

But no I am certainly not going to try and get anything out.  If I wanted anything(that is a big if) I would have it reproduced by skilled craftsmen at a fraction the price it would cost at home.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.